Enrolling smartphones into Duo
- Start by installing the DUO MOBILE app on your smartphone using the platform-specific instructions. Search the Android Play Store, iPhone / iPad App Store, or Windows Marketplace for "Duo mobile" (without the quotes). There is no cost for the DUO app.
- Click "install" on your smartphone to install the app. When complete, you will see the app installed on your device.
- Place your phone aside. Login with your NetID and password to a system that requires two-factor authentication (2FA).
- A window will pop up on your desktop. Click on Start setup and follow the prompts.
Using the Duo App
You will be prompted to use your phone when you login to an application that requires 2FA authentication. Click Log in. An alert will be sent to your phone. Tap "Approve" to complete the login process.
NOTE: You should only accept and confirm the login if you are attempting to login. If you receive a 2nd factor request and you have NOT attempted to login, Deny or Reject the request. This may be a sign of someone attempting to login using your NetID and password. If this happens, go to NetID Self Service, select Forgot Your Password, change your password, and contact your IT helpdesk.
Using Text Messages to login (SMS Passcodes)
Passcodes are an alternate option to using the Duo app. When prompted for 2nd factor, click the "Send SMS passcodes" link. A text message from Duo will be sent to your phone with several passcodes that you can save for later use.
When logging into a system that requires 2nd factor, select the "Passcode" radio button and enter the passcode that starts with the number indicated on the screen. Then click Log in.
Enrolling a voice-only phone (landline)
- Begin login to an application that requires 2FA login using your NetID and password.
- You will be prompted with a screen similar to the figure below.
- Select Landline, as shown below, and click Continue.
- Enter your phone number. Double-check your number, then click the checkbox, and then Continue.
- Click Call me. Answer your phone, type in the verification code, and click Verify. Then click Continue.
- Click Done
Enrolling cell phones for voice or text (non-smart cell phones)
- Proceed to an application that requires 2-factor authentication. Click Start setup.
- Select Mobile phone and click Continue>.
- Enter the device's phone number. No special formatting required. Place a check in the "Double-check your number" box to verify the mobile phone number you entered is accurate. Click Continue>.
- Click Other, then click Continue.
The cell phone appears with the word "Mobile" beside it with no reference to its platform. You may use this device for 2nd factor by phone call or to have passcodes sent to you via text (SMS).
Using a voice-only phone to login
You will be prompted to have the system call your phone when you login to an application that requires 2FA. Click Phone call, then click Log in. Answer your phone and press any key on the phone to finish the login.
Alternatively, you can have the phone call provide you with a Passcode to type in the space provided on the page below, then click Log in.
NOTE: Follow the instructions on your phone ONLY if you are attempting to login. If you receive a 2nd factor request and you have NOT attempted to login, just hang up. This may be a sign of someone attempting to login using your NetID and password. If this happens, go to NetID Self Service, change your password, and contact your IT helpdesk.