What does ESE Technical Services do?
The ESE Technical Services Group’s primarily responsible is to provide technology support and guidance for departments within the Division of Enrollment and the Student Experience. As an auxiliary to these services, the group provides consulting and technical support services for recognized student organizations and sports clubs. ESE Technical Services also acts as a liaison to central IT on campus (ITS) and is responsible for assuring departments and organizations adhere to the university policies, procedures and security guidelines that relate to the acquisition and use of technology.
Which Student Organizations does ESE Technical Services support?
ESE Technical Services provides technical support and assistance to the following student organizations only:
- Undergraduate student organizations recognized by the Office of Student Activities
- Greek Organizations registered by the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs
- Sports clubs recognized by the Barnes Center Recreation group.
A complete list of these organizations can be found by referring to the 'Cuse Activities website.
What kind of assistance can ESE Technical Services provide to a Student Organization?
Technical Services provides assistance and guidance to organizations in the following areas.
- Purchasing – Technology-related purchases are subject to the university’s procurement, accessibility and security policies and guidelines (refer to https://policies.syr.edu/policies/information-technology/). Technical Services can assist student organizations in selecting technology and applications that meets their needs and are appropriate for use in the university environment. Selecting and procuring technology takes time so please contact Technical Services well in advance of considering moving forward with a purchase. Examples of technology we assist organizations acquire include computer hardware, networked devices (e.g. printers), web and software applications, and technology-related services.
- Web Support/Maintenance – Technical Services provides web hosting services using the WordPress platform. Additional details as to the options available can be found at https://studentorgs.syr.edu.
- Technology Setup, Configuration and Troubleshooting – Technical services can assist with the setup and networking of computers and other devices. We also provide assistance with the installation and configuration of any required software applications. Technical Services can troubleshoot and diagnose problems with technology and coordinate repair and/or replacement for faulty computers.
Does ESE Technical Services charge a fee for services?
Technical Services does not charge a fee for any of the services mentioned above. For larger projects that may involve significant investments in time and resources, a fee may be considered. In those cases, a representative from the student organization should meet with an associate in Technical Services and discuss the project in detail.