This article provides a brief description of the Ensemble Video user roles and how to manage these user roles. Additionally, we cover some common user roles at Syracuse University. You can also view the Managing Users Quicksheet.
Table of Contents
Overview of Ensemble Video User Roles
Note: You must be an Organization Administrator to manage users.
- Organizational Administrators: Can manage departments, users and use all tools in the Administration tab. Can add and delete video, set up sharing and web publishing sites. Has full access and edit rights to all Departments in the District site. Can be associated with one Department.
- Content Contributors: Add or delete video files from their Department's Media Library. Can set up Shares and Web Publishing sites.
- Content Editors: Cannot add or delete video. Only allowed to edit and publish existing videos in the Media Library. Sees only the Media Library and Shared Library tabs.
- Content Viewers: Can view video in the Department's Media or Shared Library. Cannot add/delete or publish video.
View the Managing Users Quicksheet.
Syracuse University NetID
Ensemble Video has been connected to Syracuse University's LDAP system so all SU users can use their campus NetID username and password. However, it is possible to use built-in authentication for users that do not have a SU net ID. To learn more about Ensemble Video's built-in authentication view the Managing Users Quicksheet.
Common User Roles at Syracuse University
Here are common users roles and responsibilities in Ensemble Video.
- Organizational Administrators: Normally the organizational administrator is a DSP, an IT professional or media professional who is able to manage departments, users and use all tools in the Administration tab. This user has full access and edit rights to all Departments in the organization. This role requires technical knowledge and access.
- Content Contributors: Normally the content contributors are media professionals, IT professionals, faculty, administrative staff and students who will upload, manage and publish video. This is the most common user role. These users can add or delete video files from their department's Media Library and also can set up shares and Web Publishing sites.
- Content Editors: Normally the content editors are marketing and communications professionals who manage the content around the video entry. These users cannot add or delete video, they are only allowed to edit and publish existing videos in the Media Library. Additionally this user only sees the Media Library and Shared Library tabs.
- Content Viewers: Lastly, a very useful user role is a content viewer. Typically, content viewers are users who are required to watch secure/private video INSIDE of Ensemble Video. This includes students, staff and non-university users. This user role cannot add/delete or publish video.
View the Managing Users Quicksheet. This document covers Ensemble Video user management and roles.
Ensemble Video is an innovative enterprise video content management platform developed at Syracuse University and it is currently in use in dozens of higher education organizations. Ensemble Video simplifies rich media publishing, management and streaming from one management system. Ensemble Video helps you publish videos to Blackboard, Sharepoint, Cascade, iTunes/iTunesU, web pages, iPads and more. Learn more at www.EnsembleVideo.com.