The steps below are used to create a secure connection to access University resources via virtual private network (VPN) on a macOS device.
If you require a VPN connection on a Windows 10 devices, please refer to the SURA tool instructions found on the SURA Utility for Windows page.
Setting Up a VPN Connection on macOS
- Ensure your device is connected to the internet. If you are on campus and need to connect to AOX (AirOrangeX) first, follow the configuration steps here: https://answers.syr.edu/x/igGNAQ.
- Download the VPN Configuration Tool.
Select the VPN Setup file in your browser's downloads area or search for "Setttings_for_SU_VPN-1.1.mobilleconfig" in your spotlight area and launch the file.
- Click "continue" on the profile install dialog box.
- Under Username enter your NetID and click "Install".
- You will be prompted for the password to your computer. (Screenshot below is for Macs with TouchID)
- The SU VPN profile should now appear in the profiles section of settings.
- Launch System Preferences and select "Network." Select VPN (L2TP) in the sidebar on the left and then make sure the box at the bottom labelled "Show VPN status in menu bar" is checked.
- You can now connect to the VPN by clicking the VPN icon in the upper menu bar and selecting "Connect SU VPN".
- Enter your NetID password in the dialog box and select OK.
- Once connected, you can click on the VPN icon to see connection time and status.
Connecting to a Network Drive
To connect remotely to your network drive, please follow the instructions found here: Connecting Remotely to a Network Drive on macOS
For instructions on printing wirelessly with your Mac, please follow the instructions found here: Wireless Printing for macOS