Not the Latest Version
Please note that these instructions are for users of macOS 10.11 - 10.13, which is not the latest version of macOS.
Instructions for the latest macOS version can be found on the Configuring SUMail on macOS (Apple Mail) page.
Apple Mail after Microsoft's MFA (Two-Factor Authentication or 2FA)
As of March 2019, Syracuse University Mail (SUMail) requires Microsoft MFA (also known as two-factor authentication or 2FA). All versions of MacOS before 10.14 Mojave do not support what is referred to as "modern authentication". When trying to access older versions of Mail, you may continually asked to log in without success. You may see the following screen asking for internal and external URLs as well as a statement that Apple Mail cannot verify the account name or password:
In order to continue to use Apple's Mail app, you will need to update MacOS to the latest version, 10.14 Mojave, which is freely available in the Mac App store. You must also remove and then re-add your SUMail account in order to Apple's Mail app to recognize the MFA/2FA. Follow the instructions listed under the "Related Articles" section for more information.
Additional work arounds include installing Microsoft office using your provided Office365 subscription, and use Outlook. You could also use Outlook's web based email on your preferred browser
Getting to Mail Setup
Start Apple Mail (is located in the dock by default).
First Account in Mail?
If you do not have an account already in mail you can skip down to Setting up Mail
- Go to Apple Mail's Preferences. Click the Accounts tab at the top.
- To add a new account click the small + button under Accounts.
Setting up Mail
- It will prompt you to choose a mail account to add. Select Exchange and hit continue.
- Enter your full email address (email@example.com) and associated account password and click Sign In.
Upon entering a correct email address and the correct server, this should be your next screen.
- Choose the things that you would like mail to sync with then click done. SUMail will load into Apple Mail.