There currently is no process for removing University Email accounts for former SU students. Until a removal process is developed, a former student who no longer wants an SUmail account will need to set up a rule within SUmail to delete all messages, and then set an auto-reply message to let the sender know the account is no longer being used.
Set up a rule to delete all messages.
- Log into your University Email account by going to http://sumail.syr.edu
- Click the Gear Icon on the top right corner of the browser, then click on "View all Outlook Settings" at the bottom
- Click on "Rules" then "Add Condition" as "Apply to all messages", and "Add an action" as "Delete". Then hit "Save" at the bottom right.
Set up an Autoreply
- Click "Automatic replies", then click the first slider for "Automatic replies on", then the checkbox near the bottom for "Send replies outside your organization"
- Type a message in "Send automatic inside my organization:" field letting the sender know the account is no longer monitored. (ie. This account is no longer used, and the person you are trying to contact can no longer me reached with this address)
- Copy and paste the same message into the "Send replies outside your organization:"