DPS Transitioning to New Safety App
As announced in SU News, Rave Guardian will replace the LiveSafe app, which will no longer be available to Syracuse University users beginning Friday, Feb. 26, 2020. Syracuse University students, faculty, and staff are encouraged delete the LiveSafe app and download Rave Guardian, a free mobile app that turns any smartphone into a personal safety device, in its place. Complete instructions for Rave Guardian are available on the Rave Guardian Safety Mobile App DPS page.
Please see the message above about LiveSafe no longer being available after February 26, 2020.
What is LiveSafe?
LiveSafe is a nationally-recognized mobile app used at universities nationwide, designed to offer direct connectivity with the DPS emergency dispatch center from users’ cell phones. Just download “LiveSafe” for free to your iPhone or Android, sign up with your school email address, and connect the app with “Syracuse University.”
The app acts as a “mobile blue light,” integrating GPS location information when users contact the emergency dispatch center through the app. It features a function called “SafeWalk” that permits users to virtually share their location with friends as they walk to a destination. App users may also send tips regarding crimes in progress or potentially unsafe situations through the app, and can attach photo and video to provide DPS with further information.
To download the app on your Android or iOS smart phone, click here. You will be directed to a web page where you may enter your cell phone number for a direct download of the Syracuse University version of the app.
Who Can Download LiveSafe?
All students, faculty, and staff are eligible to download the LiveSafe Mobile App. The user must add a verified Syracuse University email (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note that the LiveSafe app is also accessible via the Syracuse University Mobile Application.
How Do I Download LiveSafe?
Search for and download "LiveSafe" from iTunes or Google Play app stores or follow the link above. Open LiveSafe on your device.
- Sign Up and Verify Your Account
Register using your mobile phone number or tap "use email" to sign up with your email instead. Follow the verification instructions (either via SMS text if registering with your phone number or via email if using your email account). Once verified, fill out your profile and create a password. Tap "next."
- Select Your Organization
Your organization should appear at the top of the list if it is nearby. Otherwise, search for and select it. You'll know you are in the right place when you see your organization's logo at the top. When prompted, enable push notifications and location services to receive full benefits of the LiveSafe app. You're set!
How Do I Navigate the LiveSafe App?
- Get LiveSafe: Download "LiveSafe" from the App Store or Google Play. Register and fill out your profile. Select Syracuse Univerisity. You're set!
- Report Tip: Share info with safety and security. Submit tips related to safety concerns. Attach a photo, video, or audio file. You can even do it anonymously.
- Emergency Options: Request help in an emergency. Quickly access emergency numbers. Safety officials can leverage location-data in an emergency, allowing for faster response times.
- Safetly Map: Know what's around you. Use the Safety Map to see where you are in relation to campus buildings, safety places, and other information.
- SafeWalk: Help ensure you and your friends get home safely. Virtual walk contacts to their intended destination and know when they have arrived.
- Tab navigation - Home: Keeps Syracuse University related functionality in one place within the app.
- Tab navigation - SafeWalk and Inbox: Makes it easier to quickly start a peer-to-peer SafeWalk and acces broadcast messages.
What Does a LiveSafe SMS Text Message Look Like?
Performance and Resiliency
- The LiveSafe mobile app uses less than 20MB of device memory. The LiveSafe Command Dashboard is cloud-based and accessed via an Internet browser, with no hardware install required.
- The platform updates location at least every (5) seconds based on speed and movement during emergency events and during use of SafeWalk.
- During an active event, such as SafeWalk, less than 10% of battery is consumed per hour on average. During low activity, battery consumption is less than 1%.
- Chrome (latest version)
- Firefox (latest version)
- Safari (latest version)
- iOS 7.1 and up
- Android Phones and Tablets: Android 3.1 and up
DPS Contact Information
315-443-2224 from any phone or by dialing #78 (#SU) from your cell phone or 711 from a campus landline.
The DPS office on Main Campus is located at 005 Sims Hall