The following page reviews important steps to managing Zoom cloud recordings.
Zoom Cloud Recordings
Zoom offers the ability to record meetings in the cloud. By default, cloud recordings are enabled. Zoom cloud recordings are integrated with Kaltura at Syracuse University.
Recordings Prior to August 10, 2020
The Kaltura/Zoom cloud recording integration became live on August 10th, 2020. If you have Zoom recordings from prior dates and would like to add them to your Kaltura My Media, follow the instructions below to download them and then reference the ‘Upload Media to Kaltura’ instructions on the Kaltura MediaSpace web portal.
Managing Zoom Cloud Recordings
Accessing Existing Cloud Recordings
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal at zoom.syr.edu.
- Click Recordings on the left hand side.
- Click on the topic of the meeting to view the cloud recording files.
Downloading Zoom Cloud Recordings
- In a web browser, go to zoom.syr.edu and, if prompted, click sign in and sign in with your NetID and NetID password.
- In the navigation menu, click Recordings then Cloud Recordings
- Find the recording you want to view (adjust the date range and use search, if necessary) and click the topic name.Note: If your meeting has not finished converting, the recording will show in the list with a Processing Recording label; try again later.
- Click on ⤓ Download button to download all the recordings' files OR hold your mouse over one of the files below (e.g., Shared screen with speaker view, Audio only) and click the ⤓ download button to download just the file*. Note: If you see several groups of recordings (Recording 1, Recording 2) during the Zoom Meeting, the recording was started then stop then started again
- Shared screen with speaker view: MP4 file with audio and video showing both active speaker view and shared content.
- Shared screen with gallery view: MP4 file with audio and video showing both gallery view and shared content.
- Active Speaker: MP4 file with audio and video showing the active speaker view only.
- Gallery View: MP4 file with audio and video showing the gallery view only.
- Shared Screen: MP4 file with audio and video showing the shared screen only.
- Audio only: M4A file with a recording of the audio.
- Audio transcript: VTT file with a transcript of the audio only.
- Chat file: Text file with the transcript of in-meeting chat.
Deleting Zoom Cloud Recordings
You can delete all cloud recordings in your account, all recordings in search results, or recordings for a specific meeting. This will move the files to the trash and you can permanently delete them from the trash manually. If you don't permanently delete them manually, they will be deleted after 30 days.
All Zoom Cloud Recordings are automatically saved in Kaltura. When you choose to record your Zoom meeting to the cloud it will record in Zoom and Kaltura. If you remove your Cloud Recording in Zoom it will not remove it from Kaltura.
- Sign in to your Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Recordings. You will see a list of your cloud recordings.
- By default all your meetings prior to today's date will show. Locate the meeting you would like to delete and choose the More button. There you can select Delete.
- To delete recordings from the trash permanently, click on the 'Trash' button on the right hand side within the the Cloud Recordings section.
- Once in the Trash location, you can delete recordings individually or empty the trash entirely. Empty trash will delete ALL recordings while the Delete next to the individual recording will only delete that singular file. Recordings that have been permanently deleted CANNOT be recovered.
Recovering Zoom Recordings From the Zoom Trash Folder
- Login to your Zoom account and navigate to the Recordings tab.
- If there are any cloud recordings in the trash, you will see a Trash link in the top right. Click this link to see any deleted cloud recordings within the past 30 days.
- To recover the recording, click the Recover link on the right.
- Click Recover again to confirm.
- Your recording will then be available again in your recordings list.
Recordings Prior to August 10, 2020
The Kaltura/Zoom Cloud recording integration became live on August 10th, 2020. If you have Zoom recordings from prior dates and would like to add them to your Kaltura My Media, follow the instructions above to download them and then reference the ‘Upload Media to Kaltura’ instructions on the Kaltura MediaSpace web portal.