When you migrate to OneDrive, your Desktop and Documents folders in your home folder are synced with the OneDrive online service.
Because OneDrive is cross-platform, you can move from Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac easily; whether you're switching platforms from your managed Mac to a Windows teaching station or mobile device.
To be able to back-up your files, Microsoft requires that file and folder names do not contain certain special characters. More on that here.
We have a process in place to correct any names that contain these characters and start the OneDrive backup for you.
- To begin, please open Self Service from your dock or Applications folder.
- In Self Service, go to the SU Management section.
- Locate “Enable OneDrive Experience” and click install.
- OneDrive will close and start the process of correcting file and folder names.
- Please click OK while OneDrive gets setup.
- When finished another window will pop up:
- A log named “desktop-fixlog-date.log” will appear on your desktop. This will contain a log of the files and folders that were corrected and their new names.
- A log named “documents-fixlog-date.log” will appear on your documents folder. This will contain a log of the files and folders that were corrected and their new names.
- Please launch OneDrive and if you are prompted, please start the backup process here by clicking “Back Up these Folders”
- If you are not prompted, click on the OneDrive icon in your toolbar to the left of the time.
- Click on settings in the upper right and choose Preferences.
- Click on Backup, then Manage Backup.
- In the next window choose the Desktop and Documents folder to back up
- Click on Start Backup
- OneDrive will start syncing your Desktop and Documents folders. Please keep computer on and allow time to sync.
Once synced, files from your network home (H drive) will appear on your Desktop or in your Documents folder. This is possible if you have logged into a SU managed Windows computer and stored documents in the Desktop and Documents folder. These files might be older files. Please be sure to keep your files organized and remove files that you do not need.
You can find information on the University's data retention policy here.