This page provides instructions on connecting to RDS via a web browser. Please note that recommended browsers include Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox.
Users preferring to connect the RDS via a RDP client on supported laptop and desktop operating systems should follow the instructions found on the Remote Desktop Services via RDP Client page.
Before you Connect
Before you connect, please note the following important considerations for using the RDS solutions.
Save your work to your network (H:\) drive
Just like physical labs, any files saved to the local hard drives will be removed.
Save your work often
- Please be aware: Idle sessions will automatically be logged out after 2 hours.
- Only one session can be active per user. Logging into another session will disconnect from the previous and reconnect on the new session.
- Google Chrome,Firefox, and Edge are the recommended browsers for connecting through the WebUI.
Connecting to RDS
Recommended Browsers: Please note that recommended browsers include Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox.
- Using a web browser, navigate to rds.syr.edu.
- If you are not logged in already, you will be prompted to do so using your University NetID and password.
Under Syracuse University Remote Desktops, select the PublicLabs icon.
After selecting the resource pool, such as PublicLabs, if a file is downloaded instead of popup window or session opening be sure to have "Open resources in the browser" selected in Settings. Settings is found by pressing the gear sprocket in the top right of the webpage.
You will be prompted with a popup-dialog box asking you to allow the remote computer to access printer and clipboard functions on your computer. This is completed by checking or unchecking the boxes labeled Printer and Clipboard. You can also disable this popup in the future by checking the box labeled Don't ask me again for connections to this computer.
When printing a document, select the printer option that states it will be redirected.
Important: This redirection will save the file on the local downloads for the desktop you are on. Please be aware of this if downloading on a public/shared computer.
The file called "Remote Print Job.pdf" can now be printed from the desktop to any available printers.
- Press Allow to sign-in and access your Remote Lab machine.
- To sign-out, click on the Sign Out button in the upper-right hand corner of the Remote Lab window. You will be returned to the main login page.
If at any time you require additional assistance, please contact the ITS Help Desk by voice at 315.443.2677 or by email at email@example.com.