This page provides instructions on connecting to RDS via a RDP client on supported laptop and desktop operating systems. Currently, Windows and macOS are supported.
Users preferring to connect the RDS within their web browser should follow the instructions found on the Remote Desktop Services via Browser page.
Retrieving and RDP file for RDS
You must first receive the RDP file from the web client in order to connect through the RDP client.
Recommended Browsers: Please note that recommended browsers include Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Using a web browser, navigate to rds.syr.edu.
- If you are not logged in already, you will be prompted to do so using your University NetID and password.
- In the top right is a sprocket icon,
- In the Settings Pane select the radio button to "Download the rdp file".
Connect to RDS via a RDP Client
Once you have retrieved the RDP file using the steps above, you are ready to connect your device. Follow the instruction below based on your operating system.
RDP File Required to Proceed
You must first receive the RDP file from the web client in order to connect through the RDP client. Follow the instructions above before attempting to connect on Windows and macOS.
- Open the RDP file for the desired RDS pool.
- You will be prompted with a login
- Under username, enter your email: <Your NetID>@syr.edu
- Under password, enter: <Your NetID Password>
RDP Error - "There was a problem connecting to the remote resource. Ask your network administrator for help"
Download the RDP file again following the instruction above. The old file may no longer hold correct connection information.