Welcome to Zoom Video Conferencing at Syracuse University!
Engage, educate, and collaborate with HD-quality video and audio.
Table of Contents
Recommended Account and Meeting Settings
While Zoom continues to update what features are turned on/off by default to help combat "zoombombing" and better secure their product, users should review their meeting settings prior to their first meeting. ITS strongly encourages all users to follow the guidelines found on the Securing Zoom Meetings page.
More about meeting settings:
Required Settings for Handling Health Data
Please review your Zoom settings if you are someone handling health information as it is critical in ensuring the privacy and security of patient/client health information. If you will be interacting with health data, please review our Zoom Settings for Health Data page prior to using of Zoom. Please also consider all suggestions on the Securing Zoom Meetings page.
Webinars and Large Meeting Support
Faculty and staff are able to request additional support for large virtual events. This can include expanding participant capacity for large meetings up to 1,000 participants and webinars up to 10,000 participants at additional costs. Additional information and request forms are available on the Web Conferencing for Events page.
Personal Zoom Accounts and Syracuse University Zoom
Please note that users are welcome to use personal Zoom accounts they have already configured at zoom.us. However, if you have an existing Zoom account previously configured using an @syr.edu email address you have two options to proceed:
Option 1 - Keep your personal Zoom account and keep your personal account data separate from Syracuse Zoom. To do this, simply log into your personal Zoom account at zoom.us and update your email address to a new firstname.lastname@example.org address. You can then proceed to log into the University Zoom without moving your account or data.
Option 2 - Move your existing personal account to Syracuse University Zoom which includes your existing Zoom cloud storage. To do so, please follow the instructions available on the Moving a Personal Zoom Account to Syracuse University Zoom page.
More information about Syracuse University Zoom is available on the Zoom at Syracuse FAQ.
Hosting a Zoom Meeting
- Open your Zoom app on your desktop and click Sign In.
- Log in using your SU email address and you will be promoted to log on with Single-Sign On (SSO). If asked, be sure to you type 'syracuseuniversity' for the company domain.
- Once logged in, click the downward arrow and select Start with video, then click New Meeting to start an instant meeting.
How to Join a Zoom Meeting
Joining a Meeting (Web Browser)
- Open any browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox).
- If you are a standard user click the "Login to SU Zoom Account" button above in the standard Zoom area, then select "Join"
HIPPA Compliant users, click the "Login to HIPPA Zoom Account" button above in the HIPPA Compliant Zoom area, then select "Join"
- Enter your meeting ID provided by the host/organizer.
4. Click Join. You will be asked to open the Zoom client to join the meeting.
Joining a Meeting (Desktop App)
Open Zoom desktop Client
Click Join a Meeting if you want to join without signing in.
Sign in to Zoom then click Join.
Enter the meeting ID number and your display name.
If you're signed in, your default name will appear.
If you're not signed in, you may enter a display name.
3. Select if you would like to connect audio and/or video and click Join.
Connecting an Otter.ai Account to Zoom
1. Log into Otter.ai, then click Apps in the left panel.
2. Look for Sync cloud recordings and click the Add (. ) button
3. If you are not already signed into Zoom, you would be prompted to sign in. Do so with your Syracuse University account information.
4. Click Authorize to connect Otter.ai to Zoom.
Zoom Support Documentation and FAQs
Please view the Zoom at Syracuse FAQ for more more information about Syracuse University Zoom.
Below you will find additional links to Zoom provided support documentation, tutorials, and more.