Syracuse University Faculty Manual
- Go to the Human Resources office (map below) and complete required new employee forms, including your I-9 [PDF]. Be sure to bring your required documentation [PDF]
- If you haven’t already, activate your NetID for access to University computer systems, including email.
- You must also complete your Pay Notice Acknowledgement in the Employee Services section of MySlice, using your NetID and password to log in.
- Next, stop by the parking office (right down the street from the HR office) for your parking permit. Bring your offer of employment letter for verification, your SU ID number, photo ID, and your vehicle registration.
- Then, go to the SU ID Services Office (206 Steele Hall) for your SU ID card. Bring a photo ID.
- Complete your payroll tax withholding forms in MySlice and enroll in direct deposit.
- Review the Orange Alert section and provide your preferred contact information in MySlice.
- Enroll in benefits within your first 31 days of employment (benefits-eligible faculty and staff only).
- Payroll Information for New Employees
- 2021 Benefits Guide [PDF]
- Relocation Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions - HR
Please contact HR Shared Services if you have any questions at 315.443.4042.
Leaves of Absence
Faculty members holding regular appointments may apply for research or administrative leaves. Research leaves are granted for the purpose of encouraging scholarly research, study, or creative activity. Administrative leaves may be granted to accommodate a variety of purposes including personal business, government service, teaching, or family needs.
Faculty members requesting a leave make applications through their department chairpersons to their dean in accordance with the routine prescribed by their school or college. Applications should be made sufficiently in advance to allow processing and enable convenient rearrangement of the teaching and research programs. Ordinarily, applications should reach department heads at least seven months before the end of the semester preceding the leave or leave extension, that is, before October 15 for academic year and fall semester leaves to begin the following September and before February 15 for spring semester leaves to begin the following January.
Leave recommendations should reach the Vice-Chancellor and Provost by November 15 and March 15, respectively, in order to be presented to the Board of Trustees. Leave requests occasioned by certain foundation grants or by health or other reasons beyond the control of the applicant may be made later.
More information on leaves can be found in the faculty manual. Instructions for how to approve your faculty leave are located here.
Administrative Leaves - Must be submitted to the Dean's Executive Assistant one month prior to the filing deadlines of November 15 and February 15. Leaves are approved by the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration, then submitted to Faculty Affairs.
Research Leaves - Must be submitted to the Dean's Executive Assistant one month prior to the filing deadlines of November 15 and March 15. Research leaves are first reviewed by a subcommittee of the Maxwell Faculty Council and then by the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, then submitted to Faculty Affairs.
Paternity Leaves- Must be submitted to the Dean's Executive Assistant as soon as possible. Leaves are approved by the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration, then submitted to Faculty Affairs.
CV Update Forms
Faculty Affairs Forms
The following, most current, forms can be found at Resources and Forms
- Leave of Absence
- CV update
- Request for Tenure
- Disability/Maternity Application
- Parental Leave
- Research Leave
- Part-time Leave of Absence
- Return to Work
- Report and Recommendation on Non-Tenured Faculty
- Form A
- Tenure Summary Dossier Checklist
Promotion & Tenure
Materials for New Chairs
(Written by Tom Perreault for new Geography and the Environment Chairs)
Faculty Hiring Process
(need to add process for hiring faculty)