The Scholar Exchange Program

Graduate students at Syracuse University are able to augment their coursework by taking classes at either Cornell University or the University of Rochester through this program, run by the graduate school.

While there is paperwork that needs to be filled out in advance, the process is not too onerous. The Graduate School hosts a page that details the procedure and the form (with directions) here:

There are essentially five steps required to register for a course at Cornell or Rochester
1. Identify a course at one of the participating schools that is NOT offered at SU
2. Get your adviser’s approval to take the course
3. Get the instructor’s approval to take the course
4. Drop off the paperwork at Bowne Hall
5. Once approved, complete whatever registration processes are required by the host institution

The most difficult aspects are identifying the course offerings and transportation. However, these are not insurmountable hurdles:
- The course catalogs for the host universities can be found here:
- Cornell University:
- University of Rochester:
- If you do not have a vehicle of your own, but do have a valid driver’s license, SU participates in the ZipCars program.
- Information about rental cars to facilitate transport to Ithaca (1hr 15min) or Rochester (1hr 30min) can be found at:
- Bus and train transport is also available from the Syracuse Regional Transportation Center, with limited schedules. Amtrak (rail) and Trailways (bus) run to Rochester, and Greyhound provides twice-daily service to Ithaca. You can find more information about these options at:

If you have any questions, please utilize the contacts listed on the Graduate School’s website or ask Erin Borchik for advice.

  • No labels