Sigma Iota Rho is the national honor society for students of international affairs, founded in 1989 by the International Studies Association. Student eligibility is reviewed by the International Relations Program staff during the spring semester and students meeting the minimum requirements are invited to join the chapter. Election to undergraduate membership in our local chapter requires:
- Junior standing with the university
- Completion of all required introductory courses
- Completion of at least 7 courses in the International Relations major at Syracuse University
- Demonstrated proficiency in a foreign language through the intermediate level, documented through completion of the 201 level course or a proficiency test
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.400 or higher in all courses
- Grade point average of at least 3.500 in courses applied to the International Relations major
- Demonstrated commitment to academic integrity
Led by elected officers, students in Sigma Iota Rho take part in activities throughout the year including peer mentoring of students in the International Relations Learning Community, meeting with distinguished guest lecturers, and participating in the induction of new Sigma Iota Rho students at an annual awards dinner.
The Alpha Chi chapter at the Maxwell School was established in 1995 by Ambassador and Professor-of-Practice Goodwin Cooke, who served as Director of Undergraduate Studies in International Relations from 1991 to 2004.