Remote Access Options Available
Information and links to support documentation regarding various remote access topics provided by ITS and individual units across campus.
Accessing University Email
Individual Email (NETid)
To quickly access your personal "firstname.lastname@example.org" address you can visit sumail.syr.edu. This will give you full access to your email, calendar and contacts in a web version of Outlook.
Shared Departmental Email
- Log into sumail.syr.edu with your own netid / password.
- Once you are logged in, click on the head in the upper right corner of the window.
- Select the option to Open another mailbox.
- In the open another mailbox window, you have two options:
- Type in the email address of the account that you would like to access, or
- Begin to type in the name of the account that you wish to open. Once you start typing, you can click "Open" to bring up a list of accounts that include the letters that you have type so far. Select the account by clicking on the name.
- Click Open.
- The new account should now be open in place of your account that you had previously logged in to.
File Storage, Access, and Sharing Solutions
ITS provides many file storage and sharing solutions both on and off campus including the G drives, OneDrive, and Google Drive.
Microsoft Office 365
The latest release of the Microsoft office suite includes the OneDrive and Teams cloud storage services, facilitating team collaboration and access to documents and other files from anywhere with an internet connection. Faculty, staff, and students may install the Office 365 software on up to five computers, including personally-owned computers, for access to the same applications and services when working remotely. Use of Office 365 does not require VPN or Remote Desktop, and even works for many use cases from any standard web browser by visiting the Office 365 Portal. You will be able to access all of your personal OneDrive storage (250 Gigabytes) and storage associated with Microsoft Teams for which you are a member (250 Gigabytes per Team).
G-Suite is a set of cloud computing, productivity and collaboration tools, software and products similar to Office 365, and providing similar cloud storage and team collaboration. Access to G-Suite applications and files stored there is available from any computer with a standard web browser and internet connection.
Available Web Conferencing Options
Syracuse University has a few Web Conferencing options available to our students, staff and faculty. ITS has created a useful chart to compare the options here. Please contact SOE IT at email@example.com if you would like to discuss these options and how they would best fit you or your department.
Remote Onbase Access
SU Library Resources for Online Courses
The SU Library has a guide for using Syracuse University Libraries resources in online courses.