Place a Call
- Dial a number and then lift the handset.
- Lift handset and dial a number.
Internal Calls (5 Digit Extensions)
- Dial a user's 5 digit extension to call to an internal phone.
- Example: Dial 8+(315)-XXX-XXXX
Long Distance Calls
- Example: Dial 8+1+(607)-XXX-XXXX
Emergency (911) Calls
- Dial 911, OR Dial 8+911.
Answering & Ending a Call
- Lift handset or press the 'Answer' softkey to answer a call.
- Hang-up handset or press the 'End Call' softkey to end a call.
Ignore a Call (Divert)
- When the phone is ringing, but you want to send the caller directly to your voicemail, press the 'Decline' softkey.
Redial a Number
- Press 'Redial' softkey (redials last call placed / received / missed) OR
- Lift the handset and press the bottom dot on the 'Navigation Panel' to select a number from your call history.
- Press 'Contacts'.
- Select 'Corporate Directory'.
- Select either First Name, Last Name or Number.
- Enter the search criteria, press 'Submit', and select a contact.
- Press 'Dial' to place a call to the contact.
Hold And Resume A Call
- To place call on hold, press 'Hold' button.
- To retrieve call, either press the 'Resume' softkey or 'Hold' button.
Transfer a Call
- Verify that you are in an active call (not on hold).
- Press 'Transfer'.
- Enter the transfer recipient’s phone number.
- Wait for the recipient to answer or skip to Step 5.
- Press 'Transfer' again.
View Call History/Place Calls Via Call History
- Press the top dot on the 'Navigation Panel'.
- Scroll and select the number you would like to call back.
Start a Conference Call
- Establish the first call, press 'Conference' button.
- Enter the participant’s phone number.
- Press 'Conference' softkey to add participant to your call.
- Repeat to add additional participants.
- While in a conference, press 'Show Details'.
- Highlight the participant’s name and press the 'Remove' softkey. Note: You can only remove participants if you initiated the conference.
- Hang up or press 'End Call' softkey to end your own participation.
- Press 'Applications'.
- Select 'Settings'.
- Select 'Ringtone'.
- Press 'Play' to play the ringtone or push 'Set' to select the ringtone.
Personalizing Your Voicemail
- Press the 'Messages' button.
- Enter the default PIN (51225) then #
- Follow the prompts to record your name, greeting and a personal PIN. *If needed your System Administrator can reset your PIN.
Message Waiting Indicators (MWI)
- Solid red light on your handset.
- Message Icon on a line.
Retrieving Your Voice Messages
By default all voicemail will be sent to your email. If you do not have email access you can perform the following actions:
- Dial 3-3900 OR press the 'Messages' button.
- When calling from outside, dial (315) 443-3900 and press *. Follow the voice prompts.
Direct Transfer to Voicemail
- While on a call, push the 'Transfer' softkey.
- Hit # and then dial the 5 digit extension.
- Select 'Transfer' Again.
Tips and Shortcuts
How do I setup Speed Dials?
- Use a web browser and access https://voip.syr.edu/ucmuser
- Use your Syracuse University NetID and password to login.
- Click the 'Phones' tab.
- Click 'Phone Settings'.
- Click 'Speed Dial Numbers' and select 'Add a New Speed Dial'.
- When entering in the number, be sure to press 9 first, e.g. 8+1+(315)-555-1234.
How do I Transfer a Voicemail?
- You can simply forward the email with the attached voicemail.
To Forward via the Phone prompts:
- Listen to the new message.
- Hit 5 to forward.
- Provide an introduction.
- Hit ## , enter the extension, and then #.
How do I Forward All?
- To forward calls, press the 'Forward all' softkey.
- Enter the phone number, e.g. 8+1+(315)-443-1234 OR
- To forward all calls to voicemail, press 'Messages'.
- To cancel call forwarding, press 'Forward off'.
- 1 - Hear new Messages
- 3 1 - Review Saved Messages
- 3 2 - Review Deleted Messages
- 4 1 - Change Greetings
- 4 1 2 - Switch to Alternate Greeting
Listening to Voicemail:
- # - Next Message
- 1 - Restart a message
- 2 - Save
- 3 - Delete
- 8 - Pause
Cisco 88XX Phone Schematic
|1||Handset Light Strip||Indicates an incoming call (flashing red) or new voice message (steady red).|
|2||Phone Screen||Shows information about your phone such as directory number, active call and line status, softkey options, speed dials, placed calls, and phone menu listings.|
Programmable Feature Buttons
Phone lines and intercom lines
Buttons illuminate to indicate status:
|Depending on how your system administrator sets up the phone, enable softkey options displayed on your phone screen.|
Navigation and Select Button
|The Navigation and Select button allows you to scroll through menus, highlight items and select the highlighted item.|
|Ends a connected call or session.|
Hold / Resume Button
|Places an active call on hold and resumes the held call.|
|Creates a conference call.|
|Transfers a call.|
|Toggles the speakerphone on or off. When the speakerphone is on, the button is lit.|
|Toggles the microphone on or off. When the microphone is muted, the button is lit.|
|Toggles the headset on or off. When the headset is on, the button is lit.|
|13||Keypad||Allows you to dial phone numbers, enter letters, and select menu items (by entering the item number).|
|Controls the handset, headset, and speakerphone volume (off hook) and the ringer volume (on hook).|
|Opens or closes the Directories menu. Use the Contacts button to access personal and corporate directories.|
|Opens or closes the Applications menu. Use the Applications button to access call history, user preferences, phone settings, and phone model information.|
|Autodials your voice messaging system (varies by system).|
|Returns to the previous screen or menu.|