Table of Contents
Create the remote connection
Enable VPN (top right corner of your Mac menu bar).
Start Microsoft Remote Desktop and click plus [+] > Add PC on the toolbar to create a new connection.
In the Add PC box, fill in the following fields:
PC name: arch.ts.syr.edu
User account: ad\NetID (fill in your own NetID)
Friendly name: ARCH Virtual Cluster (or anything you like)
Click Add at the bottom to close the box; a new entry called ARCH Virtual Cluster appears under Saved Desktops.
Make the remote connection
Whenever you want to reconnect double click ARCH Virtual Cluster.
The screen will change and you should see a Windows login screen. Fill in your NetID password. It may take a couple of minutes to log in.
- Once logged in you will see the desktop.
Finish the remote connection
- After you are done with your remote session, please select Start
- You can close the remote desktop window environment by moving the mouse pointer to the upper top edge of the screen, which will show the Mac menu bar. Select the red X.
- Please remember to disconnect your VPN connection as well (top right corner of your Mac menu bar).
- You can also switch back to the macOS environment by moving the mouse pointer to the upper top edge of the screen, which will show the Mac menu bar.
- You can also swipe left and right on the touch pad (four fingers).
- You can copy and paste files and folders between your local computer and the remote cluster.
- The Microsoft Remote Desktop app tends to crash every now and then, dumping you back to the macOS desktop.