Who needs this?
Some groups in A&S create data that must be secured more heavily due to HIPAA regulations. We restrict remote access to a limited group of users in the departments below. The A&S Computer Services Group must add your user object to the "as-ts-hipaa-remoters" group.
- The Gebbie Clinic
- Psychological Service Center
If you are connecting from a Windows computer
Download SURA to your Computer once and Save it in a place you can find it.
- Go to the https://sura.syr.edu to download the SURA utility.
- Choose the download tab and download SURA.
- When prompted, save the sura.exe file to a location you will be able to easily find again on your local computer (such as your desktop or documents folder).
- There is more information about SURA on the help tab.
Launch SURA and connect VPN
- Double-click on the SURA.exe file.
- Enter your SU NetID username and password in the appropriate fields
- Click Connect.
Use Remote Desktop to connect to your office computer
- Enter the AS-TS-HIPAA.syr.edu in the Computer field in the Remote Desktop section of SURA
- Press Connect
- Enter your email address in the user name field, your NetID password in the password field
- Press OK
- You will be warned that "The certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority".
- Click Yes
If you are connecting from a Mac computer
- You will need to connect to SU's VPN, then you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control your office computer.
- Make sure you are running the current version of Microsoft Remote Desktop (MRD), available from the App Store. It is free to download and use.
- Instructions for downloading and installing the VPN are here: https://answers.syr.edu/x/1QIO
- Create a new session in MRD using the image below as a template.
- The PC name is AS-TS-HIPAA.syr.edu
- Connection name is a name meaningful to you.
- Username is your @syr.edu email address.
- Password is your NetID password.
Once you create it click the red button in the top left to save it, then double-click the session to start it.