Before you connect
- Are you sure you need to connect to your office computer? Your files and many useful applications (e.g. MS Office) are available via Terminal Server; connecting to TS is easier and more reliable. If you have a specific application you want to use remotely you may need to connect to your office desktop. Feel free to ask firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must complete Data Security Training, and have that documented, before we may enable for you Remote Desktop on your office computer. Contact email@example.com to arrange that.
- Your office computer must be powered on for you to connect.
- You need to know the Full computer name of your office computer.
- To learn the Full computer name of your office computer in press the Windows key and type Control Panel.
- Click on System
- Read the Full computer name.
If you are connecting from a Windows computer
Download SURA to your Computer
- Go to the https://sura.syr.edu to download the SURA utility. Choose the download tab and download SURA. When prompted, save the sura.exe file to a location you will be able to easily find again on your local computer (such as your desktop or documents folder).
- There is more information about SURA on the help tab.
- Double-click on the SURA.exe file. Enter your SU NetID username and password in the appropriate fields and click Connect.
Enter your office computer's name in the Remote Desktop section of SURA
- Press Connect
Enter your email address in the user name field, your NetID password in the password field.
- Press OK
You will be warned that "The certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority".
- Click Yes
If you are connecting from a Mac computer
You will need to connect to SU's VPN, then you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control your office computer.
- Make sure you are running the current version of Microsoft Remote Desktop (MRD), available from the App Store. It is free to download and use.
- Instructions for downloading and installing the VPN are here:
- Create a new session in MRD using the image below as a template.
- Connection name is a name meaningful to you.
- PC name is the Full computer name of your office computer.
- Username is your @syr.edu email address.
- Password is your NetID password.
Once you create it click the red button in the top left to save it, then double-click the session to start it.