The Office of Communications discourages using PDF files. They're difficult to remediate if not made accessible from the beginning, are clumsy to read on a mobile device (and generally have a large file size), and have sporadic rules for search engine indexing (meaning they may by difficult to find in the first place). Instead, please consider using one these templates.
For Powerpoint templates please check MARCOMM Answers page.
Departments can use the following trifold brochure templates to create marketing materials for individual academic programs or events. Please refer to the sample layouts below for guidance on placing text and illustrations.
Download a .zip file of the two options featured below.
MS Word Trifold option 1
MS Word Trifold option 2
On occasion, you may need to produce booklets about course offerings or other academic updates. Please use this template, which is formatted for printing with an office printer or an outside vendor. However, we strongly recommend that all easily outdated information be posted to departmental websites or be otherwise shared electronically.
Download this sample booklet featuring 150th Anniversary A&S branding.
Digital Screen and Event Flyers
Use these accessible, University-branded digital signage and event templates for your department or office's announcements and event publicity. Please note that each template layout has been optimized for ease of use, with dedicated fields for text, images, and wordmarks. Follow these general guidelines for clear and professional results, and please adhere to Syracuse University brand guidelines.
- Use high-resolution images (300 dpi) and crop as needed. This ensures that your results will be crisp and in focus. Always make sure you have permission to use photos.
- Use Sherman typeface. Text should be sufficiently large so that someone quickly walking by can read it from a distance.
- Use University colors
- Proofread before printing or posting. We recommend you ask someone who hasn't been involved with the creation of the item.
- Change font, colors, or location of text box/image placeholders.
- Put text on top of an image unless there is an adequate contrast.
- Stretch, compress or otherwise distort the image to fit in a placeholder.
- Use blurry or grainy images.
Templates are available in 4 sizes: 4:3 (horizontal), 16:9 (horizontal), 3:4 (vertical), and 9:16 (vertical), depending on the size of your screen. Download digital signage templates.
Three designs are available for use as event flyers. They are created in PowerPoint as Templates, in both digital and print format. Be sure to use the correct format so that the brand colors display accurately, digitally or in print.
potx vs pptx
These two files are made available in template (potx) rather than slide (pptx) format.
To help your office visibly promote events, deadlines or important reminders, the Office of Communications has prepared two sizes of postcard templates for printing and mailing, 9 x 6 and 6 x 4. There are two sample designs for each. The templates are in Microsoft Word and are editable. Front photos are placeholders and can be changed as desired. The text fields on the back are also editable. Be sure to delete any unwanted text! The four layouts are included in the zip file for download.
When you are ready to send your postcards to a printer, refer to these handy tips when selecting stock (paper):
- Stock (type of paper): McCoy or similar
- Color of stock: White or bright white
- Finish: Silk or Matte
- Weight of stock: We suggest "100# cover," or a minimum of "80# Cover"