Creating questions to be used in tests or surveys.
- Begin on the Test or Survey Canvas Page
- Click the Create Question drop-down menu at the top of the page:
- Select which type of question you want to use from the drop-down menu:
- Calculated Formula: A Calculated Formula question contains a formula with variables that change for each user (math)question may include a different number of items in the questions column and in the answers column to make the question more difficult.
- Calculated Numeric: A Calculated Numeric question asks the user to submit a numeric answer to a question. It resembles a fill-in-the-blank question where the correct answer is a number.
- Either/Or: Either/Or questions show two answer options, such as True/False or Yes/No.
- Essay: Essay questions require Students to enter an answer into a text box.
- File Response: Users upload a file from their computer, the network, or from the Content Collection as the answer to the question. This type of question is evaluated manually.
- Fill in the Blank: Fill in the Blank answers are scored based on an exact text match. Answers are not case sensitive, but are evaluated based on spelling.
- Hot Spot: Hotspot questions are based on Students identifying an area in an image file. The area is set by pixel coordinates and if Students click within this range, the answer is recorded as correct. Points and Extra Credit are handled in the inline Points fields for each question on the canvas.
- Jumbled Sentence: Jumbled Sentence questions ask Students to select the correct word from a set of words in a drop-down menu to complete the sentence.
- Matching: Matching questions ask Students to pair items in one column to items in another column. A matching question may include a different number of items in the questions column and in the answers column to make the question more difficult.
- Multiple Answer: Multiple Answer questions allow users to choose more than one correct answer. Up to 20 answers can be added to the question.
- Multiple Choice: Multiple Choice questions allow students to choose one correct answer from a selection of answers. Up to 20 answers can be added to the question.
- Opinion Scale/Likert: Most often used in Surveys, Opinion Scale or Likert Scale questions are designed to measure attitudes or reactions using a comparable scale. Users select a multiple choice answer that represents their attitude or reaction.
- Ordering: Ordering questions ask Students to put of a series of items in correct order.
- Quiz Bowl: Quiz Bowl questions require the answer to be in the form of a question. Specify one or more interrogatives and one or more phrases that must be included in the answer.
- Short Answer: Short Answer questions require Students to enter an answer into one or more text boxes.
- True/False: A True/False question displays two answer options: true and false. There is no partial credit option for True/False questions.
- Follow the instructions for each type of question – add the question and answer
- Add Categories and Keywords (optional)
- Add any instructor notes (instructor notes are private to the instructor)
- Click Submit to save
- You will be brought back out to the test/survey canvas
- Repeat as many times as necessary
- To reorder questions, you can drag the questions using the up/down arrows on the left. Or, you can use the arrows next to Question Settings to order all at once.
Assigning Points to Questions
As you create questions, you can add a point value to each question or assign points to all questions once they have been created using the following steps:
- Check the box next to the question(s) you want to add points to
- Insert the point value in the box at the bottom of the window
- Click Update
- You can add points to each question individually or multiple questions that you want to have equal point value
- You can also add point value by question type