You can use the Course Calendar to provide students with dates for course related events. Course Calendar events appear to all members of the course. Common entries you may include in the Course Calendar are:
- Section meetings
- Instructor Office Hours
- Guest speakers
- Course Items with Due Dates
The calendar displays a consolidated view of all institution, course, organization, and personal calendar events for a user. You can view events by day, week, or month. You can also view and organize upcoming and past events into categories.
Course calendar events appear to all members of the course. Common entries include upcoming tests, due dates for assignments, or special lectures. Course items with due dates automatically appear in the course calendar. Only instructors may create additional course calendar events.
- View events by day, week, or month.
- Navigate between months.
- Click the plus (+) to create a new event. You can also click inside a date to create an event. Assign the event to the appropriate calendar, select the date and time and add a description.
- Students cannot create an event on a course and institution calendar. Instructors cannot create an event for institution unless they have administrator privileges.
- Click an event to manage it. You can also drag and drop an event to change the date. To learn more, see How to Edit or Delete an Event.
- Select the calendars you want to show, such as institution, personal, or course. By default all calendars are visible. Optionally, change the color of each calendar to suit your preference. Using a distinct color for each calendar displays at-a-glance which calendar the event is associated to without opening the event.
- All institution events appear in the Institution calendar. All course events, such as assignments due, appear in the course calendar.
- Get an iCal URL for importing your Blackboard Learn calendar into an external calendar application. Once the Learn iCal URL is set up in an external calendar, it is updated dynamically with new Learn calendar events. For example, log in to Google Calendar and access the Other Calendar drop-down list. Select Add by URL and paste the iCal URL generated by Blackboard Learn.
- You cannot import external calendars into this calendar.
How to Access the Calendar
- On the course menu, click Tools
- On the Tools page, select Calendar
On the My Institution tab, select Calendar in the Tools panel
From the Global Navigation, select Calendar
How to Create an Event
- On the calendar, click the plus (+) to create a new event. You can also click inside a date to create an event
- Type the New Event Name
- Select a Calendar to associate the event to, such as your personal calendar.
- Only instructors and administrators can add events to the course and institution calendars.
- Select the Start time and End time
- Type the Event Description. There is a 4,000 character limit for event descriptions.
- Click Save
Optionally make events repeat by selecting the Repeat checkbox. Additional options appear that allow you to create multiple events based on a repeating pattern.
Specifics on Repeating Events and Limitations
Daily, Weekly and Monthly Supported
End after X number of times or on a particular date
Day of the week supported. End after X number of times or on a particular date
Day of the month (1-31) or day of week (first Sunday, Second Monday etc.) supported. End after X number of times or on a particular date
Bulk Add (Series)
You can create a series with the Repeat Options
Bulk Delete (Series)
You can delete the entire series created via Repeat Options
Edit an Instance
You can edit an instance of the series. If date/time of the instance is changed, that particular instance has a “broken” icon to indicate that it no longer conforms with the original series rules.
changing the name or description of an instance DOES NOT break the instance from the series.
Editing Series (Known Limitation)
At this time you CANNOT edit the series. Once the series has been created, you can bulk delete or make changes to individual instance.
How to Edit or Delete an Event
On the Calendar, navigate to the date of the event in the main view. From the event you can:
- Click the event to edit or delete it.
- Drag an event to another date in the main view to change the date of the event. The time of the event and calendar it is associated with remain the same.
- Drag an event from the main view to another date on the smaller monthly view to change the date.
Course Items With Due Dates
When you create items, such as tests or assignments, in the course with due dates, the calendar event automatically appears on the course calendar for that day.
For calendar events associated to content items, all adaptive release and availability rules are handled, ensuring that the release of an item is in synch with the calendar.
How to Add a Calendar Link to the Course Menu
If you want students to access the Course Calendar from the course, you can add a link to the Course Menu for one-click access to the tool. You can also customize the name of the link.
- Change Edit Mode to ON and point to the plus sign above the Course Menu. The Add Menu Item drop-down list appears.
- Select Tool Link
- Type a Name for the link
- From the Type drop-down list, select Calendar
- Select the Available to Users check box
- Click Submit