This document describes how to copy course materials from one course to another. Only instructors and TAs can copy course materials.
A Few Things to Note Before You Copy:
- After the course copy your content will merge with the blank course template, and a few items (announcements and discussions links) will blend together.
- The course theme will carry over from the original course to the new course.
- We recommend that you do not select Announcements or adaptive release criteria when doing a course copy. If you do, all previous content will appear behind the template buttons. Unfortunately, there is no quick way to delete all past messages and announcements.
- If copying the discussion board, you can bring over the starter posts for each thread in the forum or just the forums with no posts. The starter posts will be anonymized, but upon opening the discussion board in the course the instructor will have the option to set an author for the anonymized posts.
- You can select specific Content pages, or copy all content pages over to your new course.
- If you want to copy Assignments or Assessments, you must select the Grade Center Columns and Settings option. The grade center columns and settings are attached to assignments or assessments. If you do not select the Grade Center Columns and Settings option, your Assignments and Assessments will be blank after the course copy is complete.
Course Copy Video
- Within the course (possibly a previous semester course) from which you would like to copy materials (Source Course), click on Control Panel.
- From here, click on Packages and Utilities, and choose Course Copy.
- Complete the form:
- Select Copy Type - 'Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course' (default)
- Select Copy Options - Destination Course ID - (Required field). Click the Browse button. Select the course from the list displayed (courses in which you are an instructor) and click Submit.
- You can search for a course by course ID number, instructor's NetID, or course name. For example, type in the course subject and number into the box (i.e., ART.101), and click Search. The . (dot) must be included, typing "ART 101" will not bring back any results.
- Select Course Materials you wish to copy.
- If you choose to copy the discussion board, you must select one of the following options: include starter posts for each thread and forum or include only the forums:
- Enrollments - optional. In most cases, instructors will not want to check this box.
- To verify that the course materials were copied, click the Blackboard Refresh button above the button list.
When starter posts are copied, they originally appear with the author listed as anonymous. The first time the author opens the discussion boards, they will be given the option to set a user in the course as the author of the threads. Use the drop down menu to select a user and click submit.