Blackboard Collaborate Ultra has specific settings that can be accessed prior to opening a room or when you create a session.
Editing a Session and Create Session Settings
- On the right hand side of the screen for Course Room, you can click Join Room. Directly right of Join Room there is a button with three dots
Note: If you select Create Session, you will get the same settings panel. Click on this button and you will see several options. Choose Edit settings to change the Course Room set-up.
- The first option that can be changed is Guest access and Guest role. If people outside of the Blackboard course want access to the session a link is created to allow outside users into the session. Guest access is turned on by default and a link is created to share with the users. If an outside speaker is entering the session, you can change their role by selecting the drop-down for Guest role and change it to Presenter. Go to Blackboard User Roles to learn more about what they do.
- For the students that are enrolled in the Blackboard course, their default role is Participant, if you have a session where everyone will be presenting or they need more access to the session resources, you can change their Default Participant Role before they enter the session.
- The Recording options allow you to record a live session and later download it as a video file on your computer. If you do not select this function and record a session, you can not go back and download the session later. For this to work, Allow recording downloads needs to be selected prior to opening your session and recording. To hide the participants names in the recordings, select Anonymize chat messages and the names in the chat room will not appear when viewed later. This is a great feature for a guest speaker lecture that is recorded and used for another class in later semesters or for students that do not want to be identified.
- Participants have different functions that can be allowed or restricted as they enter the session. For example: Share audio, Share video, Post chat messages, Draw on whiteboard and files
- The last option is to moderate all Private Chats. This function allows any Moderator to monitor the ability for participants to chat privately to each other.
- Select Save and the settings will be applied and ready for the room to be joined.