The Blackboard upgrade to Service Pack 14 on the Spring/Fall system was completed in June, 2014. Several new features for instructors and students are highlighted below.
Course Message Notifications
Anyone enrolled in a course can receive notification that they have new messages from the Updates area in My Blackboard, in the What's New module on both institutional and course module pages, and from email. Users can manage their notification settings to include course messages and set preferences. Notifications includes organization messages as well.
Grade Center Improvements
Grade Center improvements include:
- Define “Score Attempts Using” setting from the “Options” page: This is a workflow improvement to ensure you know about and can easily find this setting for tools that support multiple attempts.
- Test total points adjustment: This enhancement address several related needs, all revolving around the total points possible for tests, and needing to adjust the total points possible.
- Grading schemas greater than 100%: There is now an enhancement to allow for schema percentages to be greater than 100%.
User/Group Restrictions for Tests
Test settings, such as availability, number of attempts, and time limit can be changed for specific users or groups.
My Grades Update
The My Grades page provides students with a new default option for the order grades are displayed in.
Several changes were made:
- The Order by drop-down list allows students to change order by course, last activity, or due date. By default, items are ordered by course, which displays items in the order the instructor has arranged them in Grade Center.
- Students can narrow the listed items by selecting All, Graded, Upcoming, and Submitted. For example, Graded only shows rows that have been graded by the instructor.
- The text size and row spacing have been reduced, resulting in more information being displayed on the page at once. Feedback is included right in-line so that students don’t need to click anything to view it—it just shows up on the page.