Recording with Collaborate Ultra
You can record your sessions, which can be downloaded as long as you select the download option when creating the session. You can also use Collaborate Ultra to record lectures that your students can access via a link in your Blackboard course.
*NOTE: If you go to a breakout session, the recording will automatically stop and you will have to restart it when you end the breakout session or come back to the main room.
- Access your Collaborate Ultra through your Blackboard Course.
- Only Instructors and TAs can access Session/Room Settings. Instructors and TAs will enter a room as a Moderator, the only role that allows for recording. If you create additional rooms where students join as Moderators, they will also have access to the recording function.
- Before the session begins, consider the settings for the Room or Session you want to record. Recordings will automatically become available for streaming, but if you want to download the recording so you can edit it later or host it on another service, you should enable the option for recording downloads before the session begins. Please note: you cannot enable downloads for a recording once it is completed.
- Click on the name and then click join to enter the room or session where you want to make the recording
- Enable your microphone for audio and/or video and use the share tool to share display and files or applications you want Collaborate Ultra to capture in the recording.
- Click the button located at top left hand corner to access the recording feature
- Click Start Recording. The recording will begin immediately and include things in the session from the perspective of a Participant.
- When recording begins, all users in the session are notified. New users joining the session are also notified that it is being recorded. All users see the recording indicator in the upper left hand corner of the session.
- When you are ready to end your recording, do so by accessing the "Stop Recording" button from the top left-hand menu.
- You can start and stop as many recordings as you like during a session. Please note that if all Moderators exit the session, the recording will stop automatically and you'll need to re-start it. Recordings are logged as separate events and cannot be combined later unless you download them and edit them offline.
- Leave the session when finished—there are no extra steps to take. If you forget to stop the recording it will automatically stop when all of the moderators have left the session. The recording will not be discarded.
Accessing Your Collaborate Ultra Recordings
Please note that recordings will not appear immediately. They can take at least as long as the duration of the original recording to be displayed. In times of high use, such as the emergency of the Spring 2020 semester, live sessions are given priority over recording processing. As such, recordings can sometimes take a few hours to appear in your recording list.
Collaborate Ultra recordings are located in the Collaborate Ultra area of your Blackboard course site. Any listed recordings are automatically available to all course users: instructors and students. There is no option of hiding recordings from some users or setting availability for them.
If you use the "Copy Link" function, you can post or email the link to anyone for them to access the recording. They can view the recording without logging in, being in your course, or being an SU user. Students in your course cannot access the "Copy Link" feature—only instructors and TAs.
- Access recordings by clicking on the menu button above your course room and choosing "Recordings" from the menu that appears.
- You should see your list of recordings. Click the 3 dots to the right of each recording for recording options such as: Watch now, Download (if enabled before creating the recording), Edit name, Delete and Copy link.