Advice for students when taking tests and quizzes in Blackboard.
Avoid Test Errors
- Read the instructions before you begin. Note if you have a time limit and the number of attempts available
- Internet Explorer will likely give you errors when taking and submitting an exam or test. Please use Firefox or Chrome
- Close other browsers and windows, and only allow your Blackboard exam to be open
How to Take a Test
- Your instructor will let you know where your test is located through messages, email or on the Announcements or What's New pages
- Access your test, and click Begin
- Instructions for the test are located at the top of the page, and once you begin your test, the time limit starts (if there is one)
- Save and Submit your answers once you are finished with your test
- Access My Grades to confirm your test was successfully submitted. You will see a green box with an exclamation mark if your submission was successful
View Test Grades and Feedback
- Begin in your course
- Click the My Grades button on the course menu if there is one
- If there is not a My Grades button, click the Tools button, scroll halfway down, and click My Grades in the right hand column
- If you can not find My Grades - your instructor has likely turned it off
- Please note that a green box with an exclamation mark means your submission was successful, a red box with an exclamation mark means your submission failed, and a paper-and-pen icon means you have started an assessment, but have not submitted it yet
- You can view Grades and Comments once you access the My Grades button
Before you start the Test:
Check your computer settings:
- Check your internet connection
- Disable popup blockers and/ or firewalls
- Make sure your computer is free of viruses and/or spyware
Close all other programs running on your computer before you start a Blackboard exam. Do not take a test with other applications running in the background, such as movies, music, e‐mail, or IM (instant messaging).
Be certain that you are ready to take the test and set aside time in which you will be free from interruptions BEFORE clicking on the link to the test.
Do not enter any test or exam until you are ready to take it! Once you click “Begin” to enter a test, Blackboard counts this as an attempt at the test, even if you only look at the test and do not answer any questions. (Your instructor is the only one who can clear an incomplete attempt from your record) Find out the dates that the test will be available in the course and take your test as soon as you are ready. DO NOT wait until the last day to take a test in Blackboard. (If you have technical difficulties or lose your connection, there may not be enough time for you to resolve the issue, and you may not be permitted to complete or re‐take your exam.)
While You Are Taking a Blackboard Test
Read the instructions for the test carefully; each Blackboard test may be set up differently by your instructors. The options for each test will be listed at the top in the Instructions area. It is very important that you read your instructor's directions carefully.
- Some tests may be taken more than once, while others can only be taken once. Your instructor will inform you if the test can be taken more than once.
- Some of the tests are timed: This means that the instructor has set a time limit. The elapsed time appears at the top of the browser window, and you will receive a 1‐minute warning when your time is up. You must finish the test before the time elapses to prevent technical problems.
- Once you begin taking the test, you are required to work until you finish it. As soon as you leave the test, whether or not you have actually clicked the “Submit” button, your attempt is recorded in your Grade book (My Results) as completed.
- If you leave the quiz without completing it, you may not be able to come back and finish it. If this happens, contact your Instructor via email.
- Each question has a “Save Answer” button next to it so you can save each question as you go. Doing so should help protect you in case of technical difficulties.
- Do not resize or refresh the window during a test
- Do not click anywhere outside the test area during an exam
- Do not close the window of the test for any reason
- Never click the “Back” button or the “Refresh” button on your web browser while you’re taking a test
- Answer all the questions of the test
- Stay active in the test window. The assessment feature in Blackboard is set to time out after a certain number of minutes of inactivity (30min). You must do more than just type or click answers to keep the test active. Save individual questions periodically to reset the activity clock using the “Save Answer” (yellow button) next to each question
- Review all of your answers before submitting the test
- Make sure to click the “Save and Submit ” (blue button) ONLY ONCE when you are done with the test. You will not get credit for your answers unless you have clicked “Save and Submit”
After Taking a Blackboard Test
Confirmation of Test Submission
After you click the “Save and Submit” button you should see a confirmation and/or feedback for the test results.
To check your test grade click the “OK” button and you will see the following:
- Your score for the exam (if enabled by your instructor) or
- A green square with an exclamation mark, which means the test is submitted but not yet graded by the instructor (in case of an essay test)
- If you cannot confirm that your test has been successfully submitted, contact your instructor.