Degree Works - Students
Page tree
A Degree Works audit is a review of past, current and planned coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding bulletin requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/area of emphasis. The audit is divided into block requirements such as Degree, University Requirements, Core Requirements, and Major Requirements. Each block works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

Beginning in January 2017, undergraduate students as well as students in the College of Law will be able to access Degree Works. Students will be able to view their audit for two years after their last enrollment at Syracuse University. Graduate students will have access at a later date.

If you have graduated and received your diploma prior to the implementation of Degree Works, your requirements in your audit may show as in-progress or incomplete even though they were resolved when you graduated. For example, if you had approved petitions these may not be reflected on your audit because petitions were not entered for prior graduates.
The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.
Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works.
Yes. On the Audits tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a list of courses taken at Syracuse University as well as transfer courses.
Yes. Once AP scores, or transcripts from previous institutions, are received and credit is granted, they are posted to the student record and will appear on the audit.
Your audit will outline courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or area of emphasis requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.
Please ask your advisor for assistance. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and courses of action:

•             My major is wrong on my audit.

If you have not officially changed your major, contact your current advisor for instructions. If you have already officially changed your major, the Degree Works audit will only display your active degree audit. If your change is effective for a future term, the change may not reflect until that term.

•             The requirements for my major are wrong.

Look at the catalog term that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to our records this is the catalog (bulletin) that you are using to complete your major requirements. If you believe you should be using older or newer requirements, contact your advisor.

•             My transfer courses don't appear in the right place.

If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in the audit, contact your advisor.

•             Classes are not applying in the “right” place.

Degree Works uses a ‘best fit’ approach for meeting requirements so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have further questions, please contact your advisor.

•             My advisor or department chair gave me permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on my audit.

Talk with your advisor. Advisors and students can request to the designees of your home college, an exception to the standard requirements. Once exceptions are entered, the change will appear on the audit.

•             My minor is missing from my audit.

If you have not officially declared your minor, contact your current advisor for instructions. If you have already officially declared your minor, your department may still be updating your records. Please contact your department for a status of the change.

•             My major requires me to complete an area of emphasis, but it didn’t appear on the audit. What’s wrong?

If you have not officially declared your area of emphasis, contact your current advisor for instructions. If you have already officially declared your area of emphasis, your department may still be updating your records. Please contact your department for a status of the change.

If none of these problems describe your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what’s wrong, contact your advisor. If the advisor believes a technical error exists on the audit, they will contact your home college and the Office of the Registrar.

Not necessarily. This can be a timing issue such as posting of grades for the current term, or if you are a recent graduate or Senior, your home college may not have added all petitions to your record. If you have followed through on any requirements you were told to complete, you should still be on track for graduation. Contact your advisor and home college office as soon as possible.
At least four times a semester. You should always review your audit:

1.            Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.

2.            After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would.

3.            After your grades for each semester are posted.

4.            Any time you make a change to your schedule or major.

Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

Degree Works looks at your program holistically, and places each course using a "best fit" scenario. The "best fit" process will not always be perfect, particularly when multiple possibilities exist. Classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have a course that does not appear in the area in which you expected, please contact your advisor for assistance.

In most cases, yes. Degree Works is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have any questions, contact your advisor.
In most cases, classes were coded by your home college, so they would be placed on your audit as transfer work. If your audit does not look like you expected, please contact your advisor.
A few. While Degree Works has been designed to check almost everything that you must complete to qualify for graduation, there may be additional requirements for your major that must be completed as well. You should use Degree Works in conjunction with the Undergraduate Course Catalog and with any information that your major department provides to ensure that you remain on track for graduation. If you have questions about any additional requirements for your major, talk with your advisor.

There are a few scenarios where coursework may not be used. Courses which are not used will appear in the following blocks for the noted reasons:

  1. If you have courses which do not fulfill a requirement (coursework is not applicable), they will be placed in the "Courses Not Allocated" block of your audit.
  2. If you have courses that exceed the limit allowed for a degree requirement (i.e. a maximum number of PED courses are allowed or a maximum number of transfer credits are allowed), this coursework will fall into a block titled "Not Counted." These courses will not be applied to your requirements and will be subtracted from your total credit count.
  3. If you have not met the minimum grade needed for a particular required course that course would fall into the "Insufficient" block. Insufficient coursework would also include failed or withdrawn coursework.
  4. If your course has a missing grade and the term has ended, the course will fall into the insufficient block. Once your instructor has graded the course, your audit will reflect the updated grade the next day and will move from the insufficient block (if it is a passing grade).
If it is approved by your home college, the designee will record the exception. The course you completed will fulfill the requirement, and an additional line will appear under it that explains why the exception was entered.
Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You'll notice that the degree box has a drop-down arrow. Use this to select your second major. Once you select this, an audit with the additional major will display. Please note that even with more than one major, you will only earn one degree. Check with your home college if you have questions.
Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You'll notice that the degree box has a drop-down arrow. Use this to select your second program.

If you successfully repeat a course, only your last attempt counts toward degree requirements. The earlier attempt(s) will be placed in an "Insufficient" category at the bottom of your audit. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours, and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements.

This is a wild card in Degree Works. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 100:499), it means that you can take any subject area with that level (a 100-400 level course from any subject area). If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSY @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology).

If a pass/fail course is in-progress, it may count in a requirement if course subject and number meets requirement criteria. However, once the P/F grade is assigned, it will depend on the pass/fail academic rules of your home school or college. If pass/fail grades are not allowed for your requirements, the course will fall into the Courses Not Allocated or Not Counted section of your audit.

Please contact your academic advisor with any questions.
Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge is recommended.  Internet Explorer is not recommended as it is no longer supported by Degree Works.
Unlike MySlice, your Degree Works session will not time out. Therefore, it is very important to close your Degree Works browser window when finished.

  • No labels