Using the Syracuse University Remote Access (SURA) utility
SURA Remote Access Tool
- What is SURA?
SURA is a tool that automatically configures a Windows personal computer to securely connect to University resources via VPN. SURA can be used instead of the older Windows VPN configuration tool. Using SURA will allow you to:
- Access University network drives (H and G drives)*
- Easily establish a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection from nearly anywhere to Syracuse University's computing network
- Find and connect to network printers *
- Access your e-mail through a Web-based interface
- Connect to your dedicated office PC through a Remote Desktop connection (staff/faculty) *
* Your access to certain SURA functions may vary based on to your role at Syracuse University and your individual access privileges granted to you by your home department.
- Who can use it?
Anyone with an active Syracuse University NetID account and a Windows 7, Windows XP or Vista computer may use SURA. Please note that Microsoft's .NET 2.0 framework must be present on your remote Windows XP computer for SURA operate correctly.
- Where can I get it?
The SURA utility can be downloaded from the ITS Downloads Web page.
- Why should I use it?
It gives students, faculty, and staff secure access to the data they need when and where they need it.
** A new version of the SURA (SU Remote Access) VPN utility has been released as of July 7 2016. Please update your SURA by downloading the latest version from http://sura.syr.edu website. Documentation is available on Answers: http://answers.syr.edu.