Antivirus Software: It's required for all computers connected to SU's wireless or wired network.
Faculty and staff:
- Anti - virus is configured on all University-owned computers by school, college, and departmental computing support staff.
- Questions: Contact your departmental computing support staff.
- Syracuse University requires all computers connected to the University's wired or wireless networks be protected by a current version of antivirus software.
- Students should choose from the University's list of recommended antivirus software. A list of recommended antivirus software is available on this page.
Please Note: Many new computers come with trial or demonstration versions of antivirus software. These trial versions do not meet SU requirements. Students need to verify that the antivirus software installed on their computer is a fully licensed version.
We have created a self help document at our Answers Wiki Site to help you protect your data and devices.
Connecting to SU computing resources from off-campus
- SU's Virtual Private Network (VPN): VPN provides a secure connection to SU information resources and services from off-campus locations, protecting the privacy of information/data that is exchanged over the Internet between the computing device and the SU network.
- Remote Desktop: This tool is used with VPN to provide employees secure access to information that is stored on their office computer.
- Terminal Server: This is a secure server used to store information that employees can access from off-campus locations after logging in with their NetID and password. The information that is stored on these servers cannot be downloaded onto insecure computing devices, such as laptop computers or thumb drives.
- More information: Go to the Remote Access Web page.
Protect against device theft:
As the number and value of mobile computing devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones continue to grow across campus, so does the risk and incidence of device theft. You can protect your devices from theft, and yourself from resulting data loss and identity theft, by following this link for advice.