This event planning checklist is for event coordinators at the School of Information Studies. Please use it to make sure you are covering all tasks related to organizing and hosting a successful event.
Please read this checklist thoroughly. If you have any questions, contact Mariann Major, executive assistant to the dean (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Add your event to the events planning Outlook calendar
Please send an Outlook invitation to the IST Outlook Events Planning Calendar (email@example.com).
Include a brief description of your event and make sure to book the correct room. If you are wondering whether a room is open for your event, please check the iSchool Room Calendars.
2. Make sure your event is inclusive
Use Syracuse University's inclusive events website to make sure that your event is inclusive.
On this page you will find resources like:
- Guide to Planning an Inclusive Event
ASL Interpreting Services (the iSchool has used Aurora of CNY in the past)
- CART providers (we have used campus AV support / LEMP in the past)
3. VIP Invites
If you are planning to invite the iSchool Dean to your event, please notify Mariann Major (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are planning to invite campus VIPs such as the Provost or Chancellor, you must notify Mariann Major (email@example.com) and complete the Meeting and Event Request Form (MERF) to request the Chancellor's attendance.
4. Catering requests and alcohol permits
To serve alcohol at a campus event, you must comply with the Syracuse University alcohol policy.
You can find catering menus and prices on the Syracuse University Food Services website.
The iSchool can provide drinks such as water and sodas upon request; please see step 5.
Please coordinate all catering requests with:
- Staff/Student events: Natasha Woods (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Faculty events: Sue Nemier (email@example.com)
- Enrollment Management events: Bridget Crary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Request event support
Please coordinate room set up, drink delivery, mailings, etc. with the appropriate student support staff.
6. Travel, transportation, lodging, etc.
All costs and bookings related to travel, transportation, and lodging should be coordinated with Jen Pulver (email@example.com)
7. Public Safety
For public safety needs, please coordinate with Andrew Mrozienski (firstname.lastname@example.org).
8. Maintenance or furniture moving
For event support such as room set-up, custodial, power, etc., please complete a Billed Services request (required NetID and password). Contact Jen Pulver (email@example.com) to obtain the proper requisition number and chartstring.
You can explore additional information about services requests on the BFAS website.
9. Off-hour building access
If your event will require off-hour building access, please coordinate with Roger Merrill (firstname.lastname@example.org), assistant dean of IT services and facilities.
10. Technology needs
To ensure that adequate staffing and technology support is present for your event, please notify iSchool technology services by submitting a help desk ticket. You can email your request to email@example.com or submit your request by logging in to https://myit.ischool.syr.edu/ with your NetID and password.
Submit requests for swag and other giveaway items to Adrienne Graves (firstname.lastname@example.org), assistant director of alumni relations.
Any of the below authorized users can complete the Parking Request Form.
- Natasha Woods (email@example.com)
- Sue Nemier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bridget Crary (email@example.com)
- Lois Elmore (firstname.lastname@example.org)
13. Communications and Marketing Services
- To submit a digital sign to promote your event, please use the Digital Sign guide. Event organizers are responsible for creating their own digital signs.
- You can submit your event for display on the iSchool website calendar by using the iSchool's Website Event Submission Form.
- For more advanced marketing methods, such as social media messaging, printed invitations, etc., please submit your request through the Marketing & Communications Request Form.
- Note: Marketing & Communications may not be able to deliver every requested deliverable. Please use the Lead Time Guide to understand what can be accomplished on your current timeline.