The iSchool has an HP Designjet Z3200p high quality color graphics plotter which is available for student, staff, and faculty use, located in 011A Hinds Hall. A plotter is a special large format printer capable of producing media such as technical drawings, posters and banners. The iSchool plotter is of museum grade and is suitable for very high quality printing.
iSchool lab printers follow standard Syracuse University printing polices.
A few considerations
- The plotter roll is 24” wide. It is not recommended you print more than 36” long. It is recommended you design your prints with a small margin to ensure nothing is cut off.
- Always print as a PDF from Adobe Acrobat.
- Never attempt to change the ink or the paper roll yourself. If the plotter is low on resources, inform an iLab staff member.
The plotter is more expensive than a regular printer. A 24" x 36" will cost you $7.20, or 20 cents an inch. There are no refunds for accidental prints.
We recommend minimizing solid backgrounds in your designs as much as possible, they use a lot of ink and the plot times will take much longer.
- Allow 15-20 minutes per print.
- There are absolutely no refunds for plotter prints. Make sure you are printing to the correct printer.
Printing to the plotter
- The recommended printing format for the plotter is a 24x36 poster, but advanced users can theoretically print any size that is at most 24 inches on either its length or width.
- After creating a document sized for the plotter, open the print dialogue and select “IST-H011A-HPDJZ3200PS” as your printer.
- Next, change the paper size to the proper size. Click “Setup” and disregard any warning messages, then click “Preferences” and “Advanced.” For a 24x36 poster, choose Super D/A1 under Paper Size. An example is shown below.
- After you’ve set the paper size, check the preview for any problems and click “Print.” Your document will print in 011A.
Used correctly, the plotter is a valuable resource that can benefit your next project. However, it is a professional tool and needs to be treated like one. If you are unsure about any aspect of use please consult with our staff in Hinds Hall 011A for assistance.
The iSchool is not liable for print issues associated with the plotter.