Students establish an actionable plan for the launch of their own business. In the early weeks of this class, students will conduct research on the company's product and business model that will likely provide value to a customer segment that does not currently have access to the business' solution. The objective is for students to assess one or more emerging information technologies that will be the focus of their early stage startup research and assignments. This course will provide students the opportunity to evaluate an early-stage business idea and turn it into a startup. The course will provide a framework for developing entrepreneurial solutions that can be applied throughout your career and will provide you a methodology for thinking like an entrepreneur.
Professor of Record
John DuRoss Liddy
The intended audience for this course is university students who are serious about launching a company and understand the rigor, sacrifice, and force of will required to make it happen. Entrepreneurship is a mindset, not a destination or just a title.
After taking this course, students will be able to:
Identify your entrepreneurial mission, vision, and have a clear understanding about your motivation for doing this.
Conduct research on your relevant industry and identify your unique competitive advantage.
Conduct research on your relevant market based on your business concept, including design and testing of your value hypothesis.
Develop a viable economic model for your business, or multiple, compatible viable models.
Create an actionable project schedule for building a prototype (product companies) or initial service offering (service companies).
Analyze the various capital sources available to entrepreneurial start-ups and develop a plan for raising sufficient capital relevant for your unique business concept.
Participate in campus wide business plan and idea competitions as an initial capital raising tactic.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS 301 - What's the Big Idea?: Technology Innovation
- IDS 302 - Idea2Startup
- IDS360 - Entrepreneurial Immersion Experience
- IDS 403 - Startup Sandbox
- IST 101 - First Year Forum
- IST 195 - Information Technologies
- IST 233 - Intro to Computer Networking
- IST 256 - Appl.Prog.For Information Syst
- IST 263 - Intro to Front-End Web Dev
- IST 300 - Digital Platforms
- IST 300 - The Power of Information
- IST303 - Global Financial Systems Architecture
- IST305 - Globalization: Collaboration, Culture, Systems & Data
- IST 322 - Digital Strategy & Analytics for the Web
- IST 323 - Intro to Information Security
- IST325 - Information Management Consultation
- IST 335 - Intro/Info Based Organizations
- IST 336 - Leading Issues in Info Security
- IST 337 - IM&T Support Practicum
- IST 341 - Human-Centered Design
- IST 342 - Information Security Policy
- IST 343 - Data in Society
- IST 344 - Info Reporting & Presentation
- IST 345 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST 346 - Info Tech Mgmt & Administration
- IST349 - Human-Computer Interaction
- IST 352 - Info Analysis of Org. Systems
- IST 359 - Intro to Data Base Mgmt Systs
- IST 363 - Advanced Front End Web Design
- IST 382 - Cultural Competence for Information Professionals
- IST 387 - Intro to Applied Data Science
- IST 426 - Information Justice and Community Engagement
- IST 400 - Blockchain Management
- IST402 - Digital Forensics
- IST 407 - Advanced Data Analytics
- IST 414 - Data Driven Inquiry
- IST419 - Economics for Info Mgmt
- IST 421 - Information Visualization
- IST 425 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST431 - Security in Networked Environments
- IST 442 - Agile Project Management
- IST443 - Critique of the Information Age
- IST447 - Complex Issues in IT Project Management
- IST448 - Enterprise Wireless Networks
- IST 452 - Advanced Computer Networking
- IST453 - Telecommunications Regulations
- IST456 - Information Policies and Decision Making
- IST462 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 466 - Prof Issues/Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST469 - Advanced Database Management Systems
- IST471 - Internship in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST472 - Coop Educ in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST475 - Full Stack Web Development
- IST476 - Applied Information Security
- IST 477 - Research in Innovation, Society, and Technology
- IST 486 - Social Media in the Organiz.