Basic security concepts, policies, models, technologies, management, evaluation, and real-life cases with hands-on skills.
This 3 credit undergraduate course is intended to teach fundamental elements in information security and introduce the key areas of security challenges, countermeasures, and real-life examples. The course will focus on a comprehensive understanding of information security rather than a specific security area. Topics include security properties, vulnerabilities, cryptography, security policies, access control, authentication, firewalls, wireless security, Internet security protocols, security management, security evaluation, and real-life cases. Students will also have hands-on experiences in information security through customized online labs.
Professor of Record
After taking this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the fundamental security properties, challenges, countermeasures, and real-life examples.
- Describe the key concepts, technical elements, and their trade offs in security policies, models, cryptography, access control, authentication, secure communications, firewalls, Internet security protocols, and security evaluation.
- Explain in-depth security knowledge and skills in the security case studies that they selected.
- Demonstrate the hands-on ability in host protection, cryptography, secure communication, and network security analysis, using various security services and tools.
- Exhibit the ability in research, presentation, and Q&A discussion about information security.
- Develop specialty on a specific area of information security in their further study and career preparation, extending the knowledge and skills learned from this course.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS 301 - What's the Big Idea?: Technology Innovation
- IDS 302 - Idea2Startup
- IDS360 - Entrepreneurial Immersion Experience
- IDS 403 - Startup Sandbox
- IST 101 - First Year Forum
- IST 195 - Information Technologies
- IST 233 - Intro to Computer Networking
- IST 256 - Appl.Prog.For Information Syst
- IST 263 - Intro to Front-End Web Dev
- IST 300 - The Power of Information
- IST303 - Global Financial Systems Architecture
- IST305 - Globalization: Collaboration, Culture, Systems & Data
- IST 322 - Digital Strategy & Analytics for the Web
- IST 323 - Intro to Information Security
- IST325 - Information Management Consultation
- IST 335 - Intro/Info Based Organizations
- IST 336 - Leading Issues in Info Security
- IST 337 - IM&T Support Practicum
- IST 341 - Human-Centered Design
- IST 342 - Information Security Policy
- IST 343 - Data in Society
- IST 344 - Info Reporting & Presentation
- IST 345 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST 346 - Info Tech Mgmt & Administration
- IST349 - Human-Computer Interaction
- IST 352 - Info Analysis of Org. Systems
- IST 359 - Intro to Data Base Mgmt Systs
- IST 363 - Advanced Front End Web Design
- IST 382 - Cultural Competence for Information Professionals
- IST 387 - Intro to Applied Data Science
- IST 400 - Information Justice and Community Engagement
- IST 400 - Blockchain Management
- IST402 - Digital Forensics
- IST 407 - Advanced Data Analytics
- IST 426 - Information Justice and Community Engagement
- IST 414 - Data Driven Inquiry
- IST419 - Economics for Info Mgmt
- IST 421 - Information Visualization
- IST 425 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST431 - Security in Networked Environments
- IST 442 - Agile Project Management
- IST443 - Critique of the Information Age
- IST447 - Complex Issues in IT Project Management
- IST448 - Enterprise Wireless Networks
- IST 452 - Advanced Computer Networking
- IST453 - Telecommunications Regulations
- IST456 - Information Policies and Decision Making
- IST462 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 466 - Prof Issues/Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST469 - Advanced Database Management Systems
- IST471 - Internship in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST472 - Coop Educ in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST475 - Full Stack Web Development
- IST476 - Applied Information Security
- IST 477 - Research in Innovation, Society, and Technology
- IST 486 - Social Media in the Organiz.