This course examines data structures, file organizations, concepts and principles of database management systems (DBMS); as well as data analysis, database design, data modeling, and database implementation. More specifically, IST 359 introduces and focuses on the relational data model; entity-relationship modeling; the Structured Query Language (SQL); data normalization; and database design. Using Microsoft's SQL server DBMS as an implementation vehicle, this course provides hands-on experience in database design and implementation through assignments, lab exercises and class exercises.
Additional Course Description
Databases are the foundation of all technology. Massively important, in our daily lives we seamlessly interact with dozens (possibly hundreds) of databases and don't even know it. Much of this class focuses on design and architecture, because understanding how data is structured will unlock a deeper and more useful understanding of how humans organize, store and retrieve information.
Professor of Record
After taking this course, students will be able to:
- Describe fundamental data and database concepts.
- Compare and contrast the relational database model with other database models.
- Explain and use the database development life cycle.
- Design databases using data modeling and data normalization techniques.
- Create and implement databases using popular database management system products.
- Solve problems by constructing database queries using the Structured Query Language.
- Develop insights into future data management tool and technique trends.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS 301 - What's the Big Idea?: Technology Innovation
- IDS 302 - Idea2Startup
- IDS360 - Entrepreneurial Immersion Experience
- IDS 403 - iLaunchPad
- IST 101 - First Year Forum
- IST 195 - Information Technologies
- IST 233 - Intro to Computer Networking
- IST 256 - Appl.Prog.For Information Syst
- IST 263 - Intro to Front-End Web Dev
- IST 300 - Digital Platforms
- IST 300 - The Power of Information
- IST303 - Global Financial Systems Architecture
- IST 305 - Globalization: Collaboration, Culture, Systems & Data
- IST 322 - Digital Strategy & Analytics for the Web
- IST 323 - Intro to Information Security
- IST325 - Information Management Consultation
- IST 335 - Intro/Info Based Organizations
- IST 336 - Leading Issues in Info Security
- IST 337 - IM&T Support Practicum
- IST 341 - Human-Centered Design
- IST 342 - Information Security Policy
- IST 343 - Data in Society
- IST 344 - Info Reporting & Presentation
- IST 345 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST 346 - Info Tech Mgmt & Administration
- IST349 - Human-Computer Interaction
- IST 352 - Info Analysis of Org. Systems
- IST 359 - Intro to Data Base Mgmt Systs
- IST 363 - Advanced Front End Web Design
- IST 382 - Cultural Competence for Information Professionals
- IST 387 - Intro to Applied Data Science
- IST 426 - Information Justice and Community Engagement
- IST 400 - Blockchain Management
- IST 402 - Digital Forensics
- IST 407 - Advanced Data Analytics
- IST 414 - Data Driven Inquiry
- IST 419 - Economics for Info Mgmt
- IST 421 - Information Visualization
- IST 425 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST 429 - Future of Work
- IST431 - Security in Networked Environments
- IST 442 - Agile Project Management
- IST443 - Critique of the Information Age
- IST447 - Complex Issues in IT Project Management
- IST448 - Enterprise Wireless Networks
- IST 452 - Advanced Computer Networking
- IST453 - Telecommunications Regulations
- IST456 - Information Policies and Decision Making
- IST462 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 466 - Prof Issues/Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST469 - Advanced Database Management Systems
- IST471 - Internship in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST472 - Coop Educ in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST475 - Full Stack Web Development
- IST476 - Applied Information Security
- IST 477 - Research in Innovation, Society, and Technology
- IST 486 - Social Media in the Organiz.
- IST 523 - Graphic Design for the Web