A multidisciplinary perspective of risk assessment, modeling, and management. Topics include: concepts of personal accountability versus governance and policy; how organizations define and measure risk and loss; and plan for contingencies.
Professor of Record
Sophomore or higher
After taking this course, students will be able to:
- Learn and apply different theoretical frameworks that underlay individual and organizational perception of risk and their impact on risk management or contingency planning. This will enable you to better participate and develop risk management programs, strategies, and practices.
- Analyze what influences how risk, opportunity, loss, and benefit are defined and measured in the context of a variety of case studies and industries.
- Evaluate the process, challenges, and benefits of transitioning to an enterprise-wide risk approach in a variety of organizational contexts.
- Discern risks in different organizational contexts.
- Analyze and synthesize forces supporting or inhibiting organizational identification of risk or development of contingency activities.
- Learn and apply different qualitative and quantitative risk measurement approaches in order to be able to recommend appropriate methods for measuring and monitoring different types of risk.
- Analyze, synthesize, and evaluate cases involving a wide range of risks to business continuity, including environmental disasters, accidental loss, deliberate human intervention, legislative, social, political, financial, and procedural risks. This will enable you to discern more effectively the broad range of enterprise-wide risks facing different types of firms.
- Research, synthesize, and evaluate risk management practices at real organizations in order to add to your practical experiences and understanding of enterprise-wide risk management.
- Learn and apply the common risk management vocabulary so that you may more effectively participate in discussions about enterprise-wide risk management.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS 301 - What's the Big Idea?: Technology Innovation
- IDS 302 - Idea2Startup
- IDS360 - Entrepreneurial Immersion Experience
- IDS403 - Startup Sandbox
- IST 101 - First Year Forum
- IST 195 - Information Technologies
- IST 233 - Intro to Computer Networking
- IST 256 - Appl.Prog.For Information Syst
- IST 263 - Intro to Front-End Web Dev
- IST303 - Global Financial Systems Architecture
- IST305 - Globalization: Collaboration, Culture, Systems & Data
- IST 322 - Digital Strategy & Analytics for the Web
- IST 323 - Intro to Information Security
- IST325 - Information Management Consultation
- IST 335 - Intro/Info Based Organizations
- IST336 - Leading Issues in Info Security
- IST 337 - IM&T Support Practicum
- IST 341 - Human-Centered Design
- IST342 - Information Security Policy
- IST 343 - Data in Society
- IST 344 - Info Reporting & Presentation
- IST 345 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST 346 - Info Tech Mgmt & Administration
- IST349 - Human-Computer Interaction
- IST 352 - Info Analysis of Org. Systems
- IST 359 - Intro to Data Base Mgmt Systs
- IST363 - Advanced Front End Web Design
- IST 387 - Intro to Applied Data Science
- IST402 - Digital Forensics
- IST 407 - Data Mining
- IST 408 - Blockchain Management
- IST 414 - Data Driven Inquiry
- IST419 - Economics for Info Mgmt
- IST 421 - Information Visualization
- IST 425 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST431 - Security in Networked Environments
- IST443 - Critique of the Information Age
- IST447 - Complex Issues in IT Project Management
- IST448 - Enterprise Wireless Networks
- IST452 - Advanced Computer Networking
- IST453 - Telecommunications Regulations
- IST456 - Information Policies and Decision Making
- IST462 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 466 - Prof Issues/Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST469 - Advanced Database Management Systems
- IST471 - Internship in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST472 - Coop Educ in Info Mgmt & Tech
- IST475 - Full Stack Web Development
- IST476 - Applied Information Security
- IST 477 - Research in Innovation, Society, and Technology
- IST 486 - Social Media in the Organiz.