Project management as a professional discipline in information and communication technology. Introduction to roles, activities, methods, and tools. Critical review and application of principles.
The course will focus on the standard body of knowledge required by the Project Management Institute (PMI), which is the world's leading certification organization for professionals in all disciplines of Project Management. While PMI Certification is not provided through the course, it serves as a map of the comprehensive set of knowledge and skills that project managers must generally have in order to be productive in a variety of contexts.
Professor of Record
Master's students desiring a formal grounding in project management principles.
After taking this course, students will be able to:
- Define the knowledge areas within the Project Management Body of Knowledge, as articulated by the Project Management Institute (www.pmi.org).
- Explain how project managers are credentialed by professional organizations, and how project management careers develop in small and large organizations.
- Describe the roles of project participants, including roles in large-scale, global projects.
- Articulate the sequence of activities in a typical ICT project, and distinguish the approaches of predictive, adaptive and hybrid project methodologies regarding the deliverables suited to each method.
- Describe the deliverables that are typical outcomes of project management activities, and recall differences between those of small vs. large-scale, global projects.
- Describe typical stages in the life-cycle of an ICT product or service, from conception to maturity.
- Identify typical approaches used for management of Project Constraints, such as Time, Cost and Scope, in small projects as well as large-scale, global projects.
- Use project management methods and tools based on actual examples from organizations of varying sizes to deliver written work on project case problems assigned for the course.
- Apply the methods and concepts of project management in class to situations and case studies based on actual projects of small, large and global size.
- Explain how application of the methods and concepts of project management may vary, depending on contextual factors such as clients’ organizational culture, needs, Stakeholder tolerance and project size.
- Recall specific challenges of managing projects in large-scale, global environments across time zones, cultures and languages, specifically in the areas of communications, team management and motivation, meetings, cross-functional teams, matrixed management and virtual team environments.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS660 - Spring Break in Silicon Valley/Entretech - NYC
- IST 511 - Intro to Library & Info Prof
- IST 523 - Graphic Design for the Web
- IST556 - Mobile Network Services
- IST564 - Accessible Lib & Info Services
- IST 600 - Digital Humanities
- IST 600 - Information Justice and Community Engagement
- IST602 - Digital Forensics
- IST 603 - Global Financial Systems Architecture
- IST 605 - Reference & Info Literacy Svces
- IST 608 - Blockchain Management
- IST611 - Info. Tech. in Educ. Orgs.
- IST612 - Youth Svce inLibrary Info Ctrs
- IST 613 - Library Plan., Mrktng, Assess
- IST 614 - Management Principles for Information Professionals
- IST 615 - Cloud Management
- IST 617 - Motivational Aspects of Information Use
- IST 618 - Information Policy
- IST 619 - Economics for Info Managers
- IST 621 - Information Management and Technology
- IST622 - Preserv. of Cultural Heritage
- IST 623 - Intro to Information Security
- IST 624 - Preserv Lib/Archival Collctns
- IST 625 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST 627 - What's the Big Idea: Technology Innovation
- IST 628 - Organization/Management of Archival Collections
- IST632 - Management and Organization of Special Collections
- IST634 - Security in Networked Environ
- IST 635 - Collection Dev & Access
- IST 636 - Leading Issues/Info Security
- IST639 - Enterprise Technologies
- IST643 - Enterprise Services and Virtualized Systems
- IST 645 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST646 - Storytelling Info Professional
- IST647 - Network Virtualization
- IST648 - Enterprise Wireless Network Technologies
- IST 649 - Human Interaction W/Computers
- IST 651 - Scripting for Enterprise Data Systems
- IST 652 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 654 - Information Systems Analysis
- IST655 - Enterprise IT Consultation
- IST 658 - Advanced Enterprise Network Management
- IST 659 - Database Administration Concepts & Database Management
- IST661 - Managing a School Library
- IST662 - Instr Strgt & Tech/Info Profs
- IST663 - Motivating 21st Cent. Learning
- IST 664 - Natural Language Processing
- IST668 - Literacy Through School Libraries
- IST671 - Research Methods in Info. St.
- IST672 - The Public Library as Institution
- IST674 - Academic Librarianship
- IST676 - Digital Data and Services in Libraries
- IST 678 - Communications for Information Professionals
- IST 681 - Metadata
- IST 682 - Cultural Competence for Information Professionals
- IST 687 - Introduction to Data Science
- IST 700 - Deep Learning, NLP, and Computational Social Science
- IST 700 - Agile Project Management
- IST704 - Applied Info Security
- IST 707 - Data Analytics
- IST711 - e-Government
- IST714 - Cloud Architecture
- IST 715 - LAMS: Libraries, Archives, and Museums
- IST717 - Advanced Library Management
- IST 718 - Big Data Analytics
- IST 719 - Information Visualization
- IST720 - Topics in Library Leadership
- IST 722 - Data Warehouse
- IST724 - Database Security
- IST725 - Information Technology Security Architecture
- IST726 - Enterprise Architecture: Concepts and Practice
- IST 728 - Information Security Policy
- IST735 - Copyright for Information Prof
- IST 736 - Text Mining
- IST745 - Proj Portfolio and Prgm Mgmt
- IST 747 - Comples Issues in IT Project Management
- IST 754 - Capstone Project in Enterprise Data Systems
- IST 755 - Strategic Management of Information Resources
- IST769 - Advanced Big Data Management
- IST 772 - Quantitative Reasoning for Data Science
- IST971 - Internship in Info Studies
- IST972 - School Media Practicum
- IST973 - Internship in Information Studies
- IST974 - Internship in Applied Data Science