A study of libraries, archives, museums, and national parks as cultural institutions; their missions and operating structures; involvement in joint ventures, both physical and electronic; panelists from and site visits to nearby venues.
Additional Course Description
The five C’s: Contact, Cooperation, Coordination, Collaboration, and Convergence. These are the five main stages developed by the American Library Association, Society of American Archivists, and American Association of Museums to establish programs that will enable the institutions to take advantage of each other’s assets. What is the rationale behind this noble goal?How realistic is this program? Are there “borders” preventing it? What are the imperatives driving it? Students will interact with specialists in the field and research the possibilities and practicalities of mutual cultural ventures.
Professor of Record
Graduate students who are interested in working in cultural/memory institutions and performing functional roles in cultural heritage management and preservation, convergence of libraries, archives, and museums, and serving communities with seemless and equitable access to LAM resources.
After taking this course, the students will be able to:
- understand the basic theories and issues of LAMS cooperation.
- understand the application of these to preservation planning strategies for libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions.
- understand and evaluate the relevant contexts for LAMS cooperative ventures.
- understand the basic formats of cultural materials.
- evaluate needs and opportunities of museums, archives, and other cultural institutions.
- apply research findings to cooperative projects of libraries, archives, and museums.
- understand the role of digitization in LAMS opportunities.
- understand the growing importance of “born-digital” objects.
- apply knowledge of digital matters to cooperative program planning for libraries, archives, and museums, and other cultural institutions.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS660 - Spring Break in Silicon Valley/Entretech - NYC
- IST 511 - Intro to Library & Info Prof
- IST556 - Mobile Network Services
- IST564 - Accessible Lib & Info Services
- IST 600 - Digital Humanities
- IST 600 - Information Justice and Community Engagement
- IST 602 - Digital Forensics
- IST 603 - Global Financial Systems Architecture
- IST 605 - Reference & Info Literacy Svces
- IST 608 - Blockchain Management
- IST611 - Info. Tech. in Educ. Orgs.
- IST612 - Youth Svce inLibrary Info Ctrs
- IST 613 - Library Plan., Mrktng, Assess
- IST 614 - Management Principles for Information Professionals
- IST 615 - Cloud Management
- IST 617 - Motivational Aspects of Information Use
- IST 618 - Information Policy
- IST 619 - Economics of Digital Transformation
- IST 621 - Information Management and Technology
- IST 622 - Preserv. of Cultural Heritage
- IST 623 - Intro to Information Security
- IST 624 - Preserv Lib/Archival Collctns
- IST 625 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST 627 - What's the Big Idea: Technology Innovation
- IST 628 - Organization/Management of Archival Collections
- IST632 - Management and Organization of Special Collections
- IST634 - Security in Networked Environ
- IST 635 - Collection Dev & Access
- IST 636 - Leading Issues/Info Security
- IST639 - Enterprise Technologies
- IST643 - Enterprise Services and Virtualized Systems
- IST 645 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST646 - Storytelling Info Professional
- IST647 - Network Virtualization
- IST648 - Enterprise Wireless Network Technologies
- IST 649 - Human Interaction W/Computers
- IST 651 - Scripting for Enterprise Data Systems
- IST 652 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 654 - Information Systems Analysis
- IST655 - Enterprise IT Consultation
- IST 658 - Advanced Enterprise Network Management
- IST 659 - Database Administration Concepts & Database Management
- IST661 - Managing a School Library
- IST662 - Instr Strgt & Tech/Info Profs
- IST663 - Motivating 21st Cent. Learning
- IST 664 - Natural Language Processing
- IST668 - Literacy Through School Libraries
- IST671 - Research Methods in Info. St.
- IST672 - The Public Library as Institution
- IST 673 - Technology & The Future of Work
- IST 674 - Academic Librarianship
- IST676 - Digital Data and Services in Libraries
- IST 678 - Communications for Information Professionals
- IST 681 - Metadata
- IST 682 - Cultural Competence for Information Professionals
- IST 687 - Introduction to Data Science
- IST 700 - Visual Analytics Dashboards
- IST 700 - Applied Deep Learning
- IST 700 - Deep Learning, NLP, and Computational Social Science
- IST 700 - Agile Project Management
- IST 704 - Applied Info Security
- IST 707 - Applied Machine Learning
- IST711 - e-Government
- IST 714 - Cloud Architecture
- IST 715 - LAMS: Libraries, Archives, and Museums
- IST717 - Advanced Library Management
- IST 718 - Big Data Analytics
- IST 719 - Information Visualization
- IST720 - Topics in Library Leadership
- IST 722 - Data Warehouse
- IST724 - Database Security
- IST725 - Information Technology Security Architecture
- IST726 - Enterprise Architecture: Concepts and Practice
- IST 728 - Information Security Policy
- IST735 - Copyright for Information Prof
- IST 736 - Text Mining
- IST745 - Proj Portfolio and Prgm Mgmt
- IST 747 - Comples Issues in IT Project Management
- IST 754 - Capstone Project in Enterprise Data Systems
- IST 755 - Strategic Management of Information Resources
- IST769 - Advanced Big Data Management
- IST 772 - Quantitative Reasoning for Data Science
- IST 790 - Theories of Information
- IST 971 - Internship in Info Studies
- IST972 - School Media Practicum
- IST 973 - Internship in Information Studies
- IST 974 - Internship in Applied Data Science