Designed for business, law, and technology students interested in information security as it impacts the management and operations of business and government. Information security policy and best business practices.
Professor of Record
After taking this course, students will be able to:
- Identify, analyze and evaluate the legal and policy tools available to affect conduct in cyberspace.
- Articulate and defend what type of law (Constitutional, statutory, regulatory, international, and common) is best suited for addressing each of several cyber-security challenges (such as protection of critical infrastructure, privacy, data integrity, formulation of new rules, enforcement mechanism, etc.).
- Explain the nature of the internet, information systems, cyberspace vulnerabilities, exploits and incident response techniques and methods and how they both affect and are affected by law and policy.
- Summarize, evaluate and criticize multi-stakeholder governance.
- Evaluate the role of lawyers, courts, and policy makers in cyberspace.
Name, explain and analyze the Fourth Amendment and various privacy statutes.
Explain, apply, and criticize International Humanitarian Law’s impact in cyberspace.
- Argue in a debate format.
- Collaborate with other students to research facts and law and to formulate arguments for the debate.
- Write two papers, each of which must make a proposal such as a policy, a change in the law, a change in technology or operational practice, or some other recommendation.
- Identify, summarize, examine, and apply the material in the course and gleaned from independent research to construct, appraise and defend the proposals in the two papers.
Other iSchool Courses
- IDS660 - Spring Break in Silicon Valley/Entretech - NYC
- IST 511 - Intro to Library & Info Prof
- IST523 - Graphic Design for the Web
- IST556 - Mobile Network Services
- IST564 - Accessible Lib & Info Services
- IST602 - Digital Forensics
- IST 605 - Reference & Info Literacy Svces
- IST 608 - Blockchain Management
- IST611 - Info. Tech. in Educ. Orgs.
- IST612 - Youth Svce inLibrary Info Ctrs
- IST613 - Library Plan., Mrktng, Assess
- IST 614 - Management Principles for Information Professionals
- IST 615 - Cloud Management
- IST 616 - Info Rsces: Organiz & Access
- IST 617 - Motivational Aspects of Information Use
- IST618 - Information Policy
- IST 619 - Economics for Info Managers
- IST 621 - Information Management and Technology
- IST622 - Preserv. of Cultural Heritage
- IST 623 - Intro to Information Security
- IST 625 - Enterprise Risk Management
- IST 627 - What's the Big Idea: Technology Innovation
- IST 628 - Organization/Management of Archival Collections
- IST632 - Management and Organization of Special Collections
- IST634 - Security in Networked Environ
- IST 635 - Collection Dev & Access
- IST636 - Leading Issues/Info Security
- IST639 - Enterprise Technologies
- IST643 - Enterprise Services and Virtualized Systems
- IST 645 - Managing Info Systems Projects
- IST646 - Storytelling Info Professional
- IST647 - Network Virtualization
- IST648 - Enterprise Wireless Network Technologies
- IST 649 - Human Interaction W/Computers
- IST 651 - Scripting for Enterprise Data Systems
- IST 652 - Scripting for Data Analysis
- IST 654 - Information Systems Analysis
- IST655 - Enterprise IT Consultation
- IST 658 - Advanced Enterprise Network Management
- IST 659 - Database Administration Concepts & Database Management
- IST661 - Managing a School Library
- IST662 - Instr Strgt & Tech/Info Profs
- IST663 - Motivating 21st Cent. Learning
- IST 664 - Natural Language Processing
- IST668 - Literacy Through School Libraries
- IST671 - Research Methods in Info. St.
- IST672 - The Public Library as Institution
- IST674 - Academic Librarianship
- IST676 - Digital Data and Services in Libraries
- IST 678 - Communications for Information Professionals
- IST 681 - Metadata
- IST 682 - Cultural Competence for Information Professionals
- IST 687 - Introduction to Data Science
- IST 700 - Deep Learning, NLP, and Computational Social Science
- IST704 - Applied Info Security
- IST 707 - Data Analytics
- IST711 - e-Government
- IST714 - Cloud Architecture
- IST717 - Advanced Library Management
- IST 718 - Big Data Analytics
- IST 719 - Information Visualization
- IST720 - Topics in Library Leadership
- IST 722 - Data Warehouse
- IST724 - Database Security
- IST725 - Information Technology Security Architecture
- IST726 - Enterprise Architecture: Concepts and Practice
- IST 728 - Information Security Policy
- IST735 - Copyright for Information Prof
- IST 736 - Text Mining
- IST745 - Proj Portfolio and Prgm Mgmt
- IST 747 - Comples Issues in IT Project Management
- IST754 - Capstone Project in Enterprise Data Systems
- IST 755 - Strategic Management of Information Resources
- IST769 - Advanced Database Management
- IST 772 - Quantitative Reasoning for Data Science
- IST971 - Internship in Info Studies
- IST972 - School Media Practicum
- IST973 - Internship in Information Studies
- IST974 - Internship in Applied Data Science