Please fill out the Petition to Faculty form (found on the Registrar Form page) with all required information in the top half, along with your request. You will need to sign and date the form. We will take care of other signatures for you. Please include additional materials if needed (ie: resume, course syllabus if this is a non-IST class, etc.).
Campus students should email the form to iAdvising@syr.edu.
Online students should email the form to their online student success advisor.
Petitions should only contain one request. If you have multiple requests, you need to submit multiple forms.
Campus students will get a reply from iAdvising@syr.edu if their petition is approved or denied. Online students will get a reply from their online student support advisor if their petition is approved or denied. It will take 1-2 weeks to hear on the decision.
Please read below for reasons on why you will need to submit this Petition to Faculty Form, examples of the language to use in the form, and if you need to include any additional materials along with your petition.
- Students who have completed the Bachelors of Information Management and Technology (IM&T) need to petition to have 6 credits waived from their M.S. degree.
- Waive 6 credits from the M.S.I.M. program’s Management and Technology Track requirements, as I completed the content for these courses within the IM&T Bachelor’s program.
- To waive or substitute internship credits from the graduate program due to work experience. This request also requires you to submit your resume. To see if you can either substitute or reduce the internship course, please contact your Program Manager.
M.S. Applied Data Science students cannot reduce credits in the program based on work experience.
- Request to substitute IST 971 Internship in Information Studies for another IST course due to my full-time work experience of X YEARS, X MONTHS of full-time professional IT experience in the information technology field. Attached is my resume.
- Request to reduce the credit requirement of the program by THREE credits, due to my full-time work experience of X YEARS, X MONTHS in the information technology field. Attached is my resume.
- To be readmitted into the degree program if you are currently listed as discontinued or have taken a leave of absence.
- Request to be readmitted to the M.S.I.M. Information Management degree program for SEMESTER, YEAR (ie: Spring 2018) as an ONLINE or CAMPUS student.
- Other Examples: M.S. in Library and Information Science; C.A.S. in Data Science; M.S. in Information Management or M.S.I.M. Executive-Status Students.
- To substitute a course not listed in the approved curriculum (check your advising check sheet or course catalog based on your semester and year of matriculation into the program). You need to provide a statement arguing why the course is relevant to the specific track or program you are substituting it into.
- Request to be substitute IST XXX (or another course) into the "Technology Track of the M.S.I.M. Program"
- Request to substitute ISTXXX (or another course) into the electives of the "M.S. Applied Data Science Program"