If you are staff or a faculty member hiring an hourly student with a grant, indirect, or a discretionary budget, please use this form to add the student to payroll. If you are requesting funding directly from the iSchool budget, please get approval from Meghan Macblane, Director of Finance & Administration, before submitting the form.
Faculty Assistant (FA) Program
Faculty Assistant (FA) – this can be an Undergraduate or Graduate student at the iSchool, are temporary/ hourly students with no other benefits. They also do not have the same responsibilities as Graduate Assistants.
Each semester Faculty can request to hire a student employee referred to as a Faculty Assistant with a focus on research (some exceptions for teaching, see below) for a maximum of 20 hours per week. We cap the hours to ensure opportunities for all students. The recommendation is to hire Graduate students. This is funded through the iSchool faculty assistant budget. The hourly pay for Graduate ($18.00 per hour) and Undergraduate ($14.20 per hour). The SAD must approve this request before it can move forward.
Exceptions for Teaching
Faculty may request a FA for teaching for instructional support when the Professor of Record (PoR) determines there is significant benefit for the educational experience for students. The PoR will be responsible for coordination, hiring, and supervision for all course sections, this includes lead on FA request and approving timesheets (examples of student tasks: hold office hours, assist with in class hands-on activities, code review, for plagiarism). Finally, the student must end employment simultaneously when grades are due each semester. Note, FA's are not allowed to grade or lead lectures.
Steps once approved:
- Submit a FA Program Request form - The Qualtrics FA Program Request form and FA Payroll Activation Hiring form are provided via email each semester by the SAD. Please be sure to save this email as reference for the links.
- There are three scenarios to hire a FA:
- Continue working with FA from previous semester (a payroll activation hiring form is not required since the student info is known)
- The name of the FA is known AND is a new FA for the faculty requestor. You must complete the payroll activation hiring form with student details (name, SUID, syr email)
- Need to find a student, a job posting is required in Handshake to find a new FA. Once a student is identified then you must complete a hiring form with student details (name, SUID, syr email)
Payroll next steps:
- Once the FA Payroll Activation Hiring form is completed it is submitted to both Mariann and Lisette.
- Information is tracked by Lisette and sent to Mariann for HR and payroll processing (Note: it can take Central HR 3-5 business days to process through the system)
- Once a student is entered into payroll, Mariann (iSchoolHire@syr.edu) will send an email to the student with supervisor cc’d, containing the following information:
- You will receive a pay notice from the University’s Department of Human Resources – sign and return
- If you DO NOT have a current I-9 on file, you will receive an email, with a unique link, from LawLogix notifying you that you must complete the online form within 3 days of your start date, otherwise you will be placed on a short work break and suspended from working. This email will also include instructions on how to log your hours with TimeClockPlus (TCP)
- If you HAVE a current I-9 form on file, please return your pay notice, and follow the TimeClockPlus (TCP) student instructions to record your hours (student instructions below).
- Your supervisor can edit or enter any past punches (supervisor instructions below). DO NOT punch IN or OUT when you remember (i.e. 10 hours later), contact your supervisor to enter missed punches.
FA Program Request form
FA Payroll Activation Hiring form