VMware Remote Console (VMRC) and Web Console
With the vSphere Client, you can access a virtual machine's console by displaying it in a separate Web browser, or from the VMware Remote Console (VMRC). For optimal VM performance, we recommend using the VMRC.
Launching the VMware Remote Console (VMRC)
The VMRC opens as a standalone application for the selected virtual machine. You can also launch more than one console to access several remote virtual machines at the same time. You can use the standalone VMRC to connect to client devices. With VMRC, you can access the mouse and keyboard connected to remote virtual machines.
The steps involved in the launching of the VMware Remote Console Application (VMRC) are listed below:
1. In the vSphere Client, navigate to a virtual machine in the inventory.
2. Click the Summary tab, and click the Launch Remote Console link.
3. A dialog box opens that requires you to confirm that you want to open the remote console. Click Open VMware Remote Console to confirm.
Installing VMRC on your Local PC
VMRC is not installed by default on a personal computer. The steps to install VMRC are listed below:
- A pop up should appear asking you to download the Remote Console. Click Download Remote Console.
2. You will be brought to the VMware website where you can can download the VMware Remote Console for your corresponding operating system. Click Download.
3. You will be brought to a page where you need to create a VMware account if you don't have one already. It's free of charge.
4. Once you've created the account and login, a zip file will be downloaded to your computer.
5. Extract the zip file and click the VMware installation launcher.
6. Throughout the installation process, keep clicking Next. You can uncheck the boxes on the User Experiences Settings part of the installation if you'd like.
7. Finally, click Install and you will have the VMRC ready to use.
Default Virtual Machine Console
You can select your preferred Virtual Machine console when clicking on the console icon on the top of the Virtual Machine page.
The steps involved in the setting the default virtual machine console are listed below:
1. Click on your Account and select My Preferences, located in the upper-right hand corner.
2. Navigate to the Default Console tab.
3. Select your preferred virtual machine console.
- Connecting to vLab
- vLab Support