Below is an outline of the web hosting options offered by iSchool Technology Services and Syracuse University.
Basic - Static Websites with CMS Capability
Basic website hosting is available through Expressions hosted by the Syracuse University Online Platform group. Expression is powered by Wordpress.
- Pro Site - Student Groups, Research Centers, or other University affiliated groups may request an Expressions Pro site. A pro site features enhanced functionality, a Syracuse University Brand compliant theme and a customizable URL. Pro Sites are created by request only. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to being the process.
- Expressions websites must meet WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility standards and comply with the iSchool and Syracuse University brand standards. Meeting these criteria is the responsibility of the site owner.
Advanced - Full Virtual Server
For users who need complete control of their hosting environment and have extensive experience managing a web server, this option is for you.
- Technology Services will provide an AVHE server built to your required specifications and provide you with admin-level access.
- In the typical configuration, your server will be on an internal, private network and we will expose a port for you via Nginx reverse proxy. We will manage your domain using SSL via Letsencrypt. If you have particular needs that will not fit this scenario, please include details in the request form.
- Sites and applications will be routinely scanned for known security vulnerabilities which will need to be addressed in a timely manner as per ITS security policy. Servers that remain non-compliant with no response from the owners may be disconnected from the network.
- All websites must meet WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility standards and comply with the iSchool and Syracuse University brand standards. Meeting these criteria is the responsibility of the site owner.
- Request a virtual server by filling out the AVHE VM request form