There currently is no process for removing SUmail accounts for former SU students. Until a removal process is developed, a former student who no longer wants an SUmail account will need to set up a rule within SUmail to delete all messages, and then set an auto-reply message to let the sender know the account is no longer being used.
Set up a rule to delete all messages.
- Log into SUmail by going to http://sumail.syr.edu,click the Continue button, and log in with your entire SU e-mail address and NetID password
- If you do not remember your password go to https://selfserv.syr.edu/accounts/pwdForgot.asp to reset your password, or call 315-443-2677.
- Click the Gear Icon on the top right corner of the browser.
- Scroll down and click 'Mail'.
- Click 'Inbox and Sweep Rules'
- Under Inbox Rules, click '+'.
- In the "When the message arrives, and:" field select "Apply to all messages"
- In the "Do the following:" field select "Delete the message"
- Click 'OK'
Set up an Autoreply
- Click 'Automatic replies'
- Click the "Send automatic replies" option
- Type a message in "Send a reply once to each sender inside my organization with the following message:" field letting the sender know the account is no longer monitored. (ie. This account is no longer used, and the person you are trying to contact can no longer me reached with this address)
- Copy and paste the same message into the "Send a reply once to each sender outside my organization with the following message:" section
- Click 'Save'