Whether you are in the student SUmail or faculty and staff exchange environment, it is important that you protect your email account.
How you can protect your email
- Connect to AirOrangeX, our secure wireless network.
- Know how to avoid Scams, hoaxes and phishing.
- Find out about Password security.
- Connect via Remote Access securely.
How ITS protects your email
The campus email system applies antivirus/worm and anti-spam filtering at selected points as email moves into, out of, and through the campus network. The following is a summary of where and how these protections are applied. This information only applies to centrally run mail systems, which include Outlook (Exchange server), SUmail, and listserv.syr.edu.
- Email arriving from the Internet is scanned for viruses and spam by an anti-virus/anti-spam engine. Messages containing viruses or spam are deleted.
- Email exiting the campus by way of smtp-host.syr.edu or through the mail exchangers is similarly filtered.
- Email that is sent outbound through Exchange is not scanned for anti-virus or anti-spam.
- Email inbound to SUmail is scanned.
- Listserv.syr.edu runs the F-secure antivirus scanner against all e-mail it processes.
- Desktop antivirus software applications also scan incoming and outgoing email in some, but not all, cases.