Syracuse University has established email as a primary vehicle for official communication with students, faculty, and staff. An official email address is established and assigned by Information Technology and Services (ITS) for each student, and current faculty and staff members. All University communication sent via email will be sent to this address. Every user of SU email accounts should be aware of the Syracuse University email policy.
If you are looking for information regarding Listserv, please see the Listserv at Syracuse University home page.
- Newly matriculated students are assigned an official email address usually within a few days after they have submitted their Admissions Acceptance Form (undergraduate) or the Intent to Register Form (graduate, Law), paid tuition deposit, been confirmed as matriculated and have activated their NetID.
- First-time non-matriculated students (e.g. University College) are assigned an official email address usually within a day after they have submitted their registration.
- To access your official email address, you must first pick up your NetID. To do that, go to the NetID Services page at http://netid.syr.edu.
- Review the SUmail page for information.
- The University requires that students access their official syr.edu email address by using SUmail.
- Students may redirect their official syr.edu email to another address, such as @hotmail.com, @Yahoo.com, or @aol.com. Those who choose to redirect their syr.edu email to another address do so at their own risk.
Please note that alumni retain their email account following graduation or your last term of enrollment. Complete details on resources after gradation can be found here.
Faculty and Staff
- Official email accounts for Faculty and Staff are established in Exchange the University's internal email system, operated and supported by ITS and departmental computing support staff. Microsoft Outlook is the standard email application used with Exchange.
- In addition to ITS email, faculty and staff may obtain email accounts on departmental servers. Check with your department's computing support staff to see what options are best for you.
- Mobile device setup for Exchange.
- Your password is managed on the NetID Services page at http://netid.syr.edu.
Retire or Resigned Faculty and Staff
Note that your departmental support personnel maintains your current or past email address. Your full resource list after retirement or resignation can be found here.