How to subscribe to a listserv list.
Instructions for subscribing to a listserv list at Syracuse University
1. If you do not know the name of the list/group you want to subscribe to, click here for information on finding available lists. You may also be able to get the subscription address from some other source, for example a friend or someone on the list already.
2. When you have decided which list(s) you would like to subscribe to, do the following for each list:
- Option 1: Visit the subscriber's corner at http://listserv.syr.edu.
Then follow step 3 below.
- Option 2: For most lists, open your email program:
- Type firstname.lastname@example.org in the To: box.
- Delete the signature line from the body of the email if it is included automatically.
- Include the following line in the body of the message:
subscribe listname Your_name
Example: if your name is Susan Smith, to subscribe to the "clocks" list type
subscribe clocks Susan Smith
Note: you may omit your name if your email program automatically includes it in your email header.
- Do not send this message to the list address (email@example.com) as this will create a message to the list.
3. You will probably receive a request to confirm your subscription:
- Click on the confirmation link in the email- that's all you have to do. Or...
- While viewing the confirmation request message, reply to the email.
- Delete the signature line if it is included automatically.
- Type the following line in the body of the message:
- Send the message.
- some lists are restricted and require permission to subscribe. The response should tell you if the list is closed, or if the list owners need to approve your request. In either case, there is nothing for you to do. You cannot subscribe to closed lists, and if approval is required, you will just need to wait.
- If your request is returned with an error, or if the list is not hosted at Syracuse University, you'll need to send your request to the proper listserv server which will be other than firstname.lastname@example.org (it will be of the form listserv@somesite, e.g., email@example.com.) See the above link for information on finding Listserv lists.
- An error may indicate you have the incorrect name for the list. See the above link for information on finding Listserv lists.
- The Listserv web page has links to useful information.
- List members should contact their list owner(s) for help at <firstname.lastname@example.org>. For example, if the listname is "clocks", send email to <email@example.com>. If you need help contacting the owner, please contact the ITS Service Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 315-443-2677.
- List owners may receive help by sending email to email@example.com or contacting the ITS Service Center at 315-443-2677.