*How to unsubscribe from a Listserv mailing list*
How to Unsubscribe
You may unsubscribe from a list at the listserv Web page http://listserv.syr.edu or via e-mail.
To unsubscribe via e-mail:
- You will need to know the name of the list from which you wish to remove your subscription. If you are unsure, check the e-mail header of a message from the list and look in the line that starts with "Sender." The list address will appear there. The listname is the part of the address before the "@".
- Identify the email address you are subscribed from. Like many people, you may have multiple email addresses; if you try to unsubscribe from email@example.com, but the list is sending to firstname.lastname@example.org, your unsubscribe will fail. The email Listserv is sending to is probably visible in the header of the email from the list. You can also check by sending an e-mail to the list-owner at: email@example.com (substitute the actual listname for the word "listname", e.g., for the list "clocks", send to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Start a new email using the e-mail program you use with the subscribed email address.
- Type email@example.com in the To: box.
- Delete the signature line from the body of the email if it is included automatically.
- Include the following line in the body of the message:
Example: to unsubscribe from the "clocks" list type
- Do not send this message to the list address (firstname.lastname@example.org) as this will create a message to the list.
- Occasionally a subscriber will no longer be able to use the e-mail account that corresponds to his/her subscription. In that case, send an e-mail to the list owner requesting that the subscription be deleted. You can send to the owner at: email@example.com (substitute the actual listname for the word "listname", e.g., for the list "clocks", send to firstname.lastname@example.org). It is the list owner's responsibility to manage subscriptions for a list.
List owners are responsible for all questions from list members
- The Listserv web page has links to useful information.
- List members should contact their list owner(s) for help at <email@example.com>. For example, if the listname is "clocks", send email to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. If you need help contacting the owner, please contact the ITS Service Center by email at email@example.com or by phone at 315-443-2677.
- List owners may receive help by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting the ITS Service Center at 315-443-2677.