Accessibility Procurement Requests Instructions
The University commits that Information and Communication Technology products and services acquired, adopted, developed or updated after the effective date of the Information and Communication Technology policy (effective: 1/1/18) shall be accessible to individuals with disabilities. This page lists the different request types submitted to and/or reviewed by the Accessibility Assessment Committee (AAC).
Purchasing and the Procurement Process – Co-Requirements
Securing approval by the AAC following an accessibility review is one of several required steps in the overall procurement process. AAC approval does not take the place of other purchasing requirements which may include the completion of contract terms and conditions, Information Technology security review, and Syracuse University Purchasing Department requirements as set forth in the Syracuse University Purchasing Policy. For questions pertaining to the financial aspect of the procurement process, please contact the Purchasing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How & Where to Obtain Assistance - Accessibility Procurement
For assistance in completing an accessibility procurement request, please contact your IT Departmental Support Contact person or IT School and College Support Contact person. If you do not have an IT support contact, you may email accessibleIT@syr.edu for assistance.
- For a list of online and in-person learning opportunities, see the Procuring Accessible IT: Training Resources page.
- See the FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- See the AAC Past Requests page, for history of software and hardware requests with statuses. Login is required.
- See the ICT Accessibility Procurement Process page for a description of the process.
Forms & Required Documentation
Forms are updated regularly, so please download new document(s) each time. If new to the process, review the Accessibility in the Procurement Process (.pptx) for an overview.
Requests submitted to the Accessibility Assessment Committee (AAC):
Policy exclusion requests require an informational notification to the AAC. Exclusions must strictly fit one of the exclusion categories in the policy, as outlined in the 'Policy Exclusion Acknowledgement' link.
For software that has been verified as WCAG 2.x compliant by Syracuse University personnel, an informational notification to the AAC is required.
Procurement requests for non-compliant software are submitted for review by the AAC.
Procurement requests for hardware are submitted for review by the AAC.
Requests denied by the AAC may be submitted as an appeal to the Accessibility Compliance Committee (ACC) :
In the event that a full review has been completed by the Accessibility Assessment Committee (AAC) and has resulted in a procurement denial, the Policy has provisions to escalate to the Accessibility Compliance Committee (ACC) to request an exception. Exceptions must strictly fit one of the exception categories in the policy, as outlined in the 'Exception Appeal Request' link. Submitting an exception request does not guarantee approval.
- Evaluating ICT Accessibility – Suggested Questions for Vendors
- Frequently Asked Questions - Accessibility Procurement Requests
- ICT Accessibility in the Procurement Process
- Process - Procurement of ICT Products and Services
- Procuring Accessible IT: Training Resources
- Revised Procurement of Accessible ICT Products and Services (draft)